cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Are Folders possible in "Pages"?

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help! Is it possible to create folders in "Pages" so that I can group them according to themes (as opposed to creating dozens of separate pages, which makes it hard for me to browse them?). I would like to have folders and subfolders of pages, the way we have in our Word Document files--it makes life much easier.

Thank you again!

Eleni

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Eleni Manolaraki,

Technically NO, because 'pages' are a native (created in Canvas) content item, and 'Folders' are designed to hold 'files', which are uploaded into Canvas. However, you can build a hierarchy of 'folders' with all or the uploaded 'files'/'documents' in them in whatever depth and order that you want (you do this working directly in 'Files' in the left hand course menu). You can then embed a link to the parent 'Folder'(or any other 'Folder' desired) in a 'page'(wikipage) and place the 'page' wherever you want it. 'Pages' in general, stand alone, or they can be deployed within a 'Module'. The embedded link in the page would then take the user to the specified folder/file in the course 'Files'.

I hope this addresses your question.  If you have any questions, or need clarification, please reply here.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, emanolar@usf.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! 925024864‌ has given you a great potential solution. If you use Google Drive, you might also be interested in exploring this ingenious tool for embedding Google Drive folders: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2016/03/04/embed-a-google-drive-folder 

Highlighted
Surveyor

If Canvas can can group pages in a "folder" called "pages", it surely should be able to create folders within. Canvas makes any suggested change require an act of Congress to even consider the idea. (I don't have time to upvote and wait and wait on Canvas to decide whether they will even consider the idea.) The above solutions are still "Files" solutions, not a "pages" solution. To insert a page into a module, you have to do the scroll of death to get to the item. Very impractical. If Canvas (or school administrators) want to promote its use, it should make it much less frustrating to use. Even if Canvas can't create sub-folders, it should be able to create a search feature so the module can pop to the top.

Highlighted

Michael -

I agree with what you state in your response.  I would like to think that the developers would have put in this type of functionality if at all possible.  Without knowing the nuts and bolts of how the pages are stored and handled in Canvas, we have no idea if it is possible or not.  Maybe  james@richland.edu   can come up with one of his nifty programs to do it for us.

Highlighted

bowmanr@uah.edu 

It's not coming from me. That's more than a simple hack to already existing functionality. You would need to store the structure somewhere and Canvas doesn't have a provision for custom data at the course level, so it would need to be in a separate system. You're getting into some of the level of complexity that Atomic Jolt did with modules with their Curriculum Tools.