cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Are Microsoft Word equations supported in Canvas?

Jump to solution

I have many test questions in Microsoft Word documents. Equations and formulas are often used and were created by the equation editor in Word. Is there any way to transfer Word document file info into Canvas quizzes? Re-typing equations and formulas in the Canvas math editor would be onerous, if not impossible.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

dmalik@iupui.edu, it is not currently possible to convert a Word document directly into a Canvas quiz. However, Canvas has a robust integration with Respondus 4.0, and it is a relatively simple matter to create quizzes in Canvas from properly-formatted Word documents. If your school doesn't already have a license with Respondus, you might want to try the free 30-day trial to see if your equations import nicely into Canvas. Here's the link to the Respondus 4.0 download page: Download Respondus 4.0

Also, the ability to create quizzes in Canvas from Word documents is in the works. Check out Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ for more details.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

dmalik@iupui.edu, it is not currently possible to convert a Word document directly into a Canvas quiz. However, Canvas has a robust integration with Respondus 4.0, and it is a relatively simple matter to create quizzes in Canvas from properly-formatted Word documents. If your school doesn't already have a license with Respondus, you might want to try the free 30-day trial to see if your equations import nicely into Canvas. Here's the link to the Respondus 4.0 download page: Download Respondus 4.0

Also, the ability to create quizzes in Canvas from Word documents is in the works. Check out Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ for more details.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

The future is looking up when you arrive at the Word compatibility. I am assuming it will support their images and equations which is what our complex questions contain.

BTW, Respondus is a PC only software package. And chemists widely use a Mac for their images and equations.

Thanks for the speed in responding, David

–––––––––––––––––––

David J. Malik

Chancellor's Professor of Chemistry and Acting Chair

Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis

402 N. Blackford Street

Indianapolis, IN 46202

317-274-6884 • dmalik@iupui.edu<mailto:dmalik@iupui.edu>

Highlighted

Ah, I was afraid you'd be a Mac user, dmalik@iupui.edu--but Respondus's official response to that is that Mac users can run the program through Windows emulation software. And I have heard anecdotal reports of Canvas users having some success using that method.

Anyway, you're welcome, and I'm right beside you waiting with bated breath for that quiz refactor!