cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philmac
Learner

Are Test and Beta environments refreshed with user logs from Production?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Regardless of the need for it, when Beta and Test environments are refreshed with Production data, do the page views attached to a user's profile in Beta and Production also get refreshed with the data from Production?

I am looking at user logs in Test and Beta and seeing page view data from Production (or so I think), however the page views displayed in Beta and Test are from the previous year.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

@philmac ,

Kind of, but not really.

Here are a couple of pages from the Canvas Admin Guide.

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an admin? 

How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin? 

Both of them have a line in the blue notes at the top:

• Account-level user page views always reflect activity from the production environment.

What that means is that the logs that you see in beta and test are the production environment logs. There are no separate logs for what happens in beta and test. So, technically speaking, no, they are not updated when beta and test are updated. That's because they always point to the production logs and so they don't need updated.

To confirm this, I pulled up my page views in the Beta and Test instances. They only show what happens in Production, the things I do in Beta or Test did not show up in the Page View logs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
James
Navigator

@philmac ,

Kind of, but not really.

Here are a couple of pages from the Canvas Admin Guide.

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an admin? 

How do I access the Canvas test environment as an admin? 

Both of them have a line in the blue notes at the top:

• Account-level user page views always reflect activity from the production environment.

What that means is that the logs that you see in beta and test are the production environment logs. There are no separate logs for what happens in beta and test. So, technically speaking, no, they are not updated when beta and test are updated. That's because they always point to the production logs and so they don't need updated.

To confirm this, I pulled up my page views in the Beta and Test instances. They only show what happens in Production, the things I do in Beta or Test did not show up in the Page View logs.

View solution in original post

Hi James,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

So, in following the logic above, "Account-level user page views always reflect activity from the production environment."

The page views attached to my profile in Beta and in Test should be showing the page views from the last week and 2 weeks prior, respectively.

E.g. a user who has been using Canvas every day for the past year, should have some page view data displayed in beta and test environments from the previous month (at least).

The fact that page views against a power user when looking in Beta or Test are not showing data from the last 6 months... means that something might be broken with the refresh somewhere?

Cheers,

Phil

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the user page you get when you go to Admin, do a search on a user, and then click on their name. I scroll to the bottom where it has Page Views and looks like this:

313853_pastedImage_1.png

It has an URL like <instance>/accounts/:account_id/users/:user_id

The page views attached to my profile in Beta and in Test should be showing the page views from the last week and 2 weeks prior, respectively.

None of the activity that you do in Beta or Test should get logged to the page views list. It shouldn't show stuff from the last week or last 2 weeks, it should show things that were immediately done in the production instance. That would include things done in the last week or 2 weeks, but the beta and test logs do not work the way the rest of beta and test work as far as a refresh cycle.

The fact that page views against a power user when looking in Beta or Test are not showing data from the last 6 months... means that something might be broken with the refresh somewhere?

There is no refresh involved. It is linked to the production instance. Beta and Test should not be 1 week behind and 2 weeks behind, they should be the current log information from the Production instance.

Things I could of think of that might impact this are:

• Are you sure you've got the right user? I pulled up a user in the Production instance and looked at the page views. Then I just inserted either .beta or .test into the URL and hit enter and the page views were the same (well, the beta instance showed the page view of the user page from the production instance). Are we sure that they production site is being updated?
  • Are you self-hosted? Based off your email address, it looks like unicanberra.instructure.com is your Canvas instance. If so, then it appears that you have a hosted solution. If you're self-hosting, then the logging may not be set up properly.
  • Instructure may be doing something differently for your country. When I was at project Khaki in 2017, they said that sometimes they do things for legal purposes or so that they can participate in certain countries. I know that some countries have data laws that require that information be kept within the country and that might be affecting something. Canvas Support should be able to answer that.

On the other hand, there may be something broken and contacting Canvas Support to find out what's going on might be necessary. However, it should not be broken in the refresh because there is no refresh.

The problem may be irrelevant. I don't know of any benefit to pulling the page view logs from beta or test instances because they only reflect what's in the production site. They are not archived copies of the way things were 1 week or 2 weeks ago. That means that there's really no reason to get them from there other than perhaps to avoid a log documenting that you were looking at someone's usage.

Hi James,

Yes, you're spot on. We are talking about the same thing. We do have a hosted solution as you pointed out. 

"....There is no refresh involved. It is linked to the production instance. Beta and Test should not be 1 week behind and 2 weeks behind, they should be the current log information from the Production instance."

-- Thank you, this answers my query.

"....The problem may be irrelevant. I don't know of any benefit to pulling the page view logs from beta or test instances because they only reflect what's in the production site. They are not archived copies of the way things were 1 week or 2 weeks ago. That means that there's really no reason to get them from there other than perhaps to avoid a log documenting that you were looking at someone's usage."

-- Exactly! It would be ideal if there were no user logs displayed in Beta and Test.

James, thank you very much for taking the time during your evening to respond to my questions.

Cheers,

Phil