cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u0743737
Community Member

Are answers for "matching" quizzes always shuffled?

Jump to solution

I am trying to design a quiz using the matching function because it allows me to copy and paste multiple answers all at once.  The nature of the quiz requires that I have ~75 possible answers.

When I preview the quiz, all the answers are jumbled.  I do not have the "shuffle answers" box checked, so I don't know why they are shuffled.  Other quiz types do not seem to have this problem.  Is this something unique to the 'matching' quiz type?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @u0743737 ​...

Although this Canvas Guide, How do I create a Matching quiz question?, doesn't really mention it, Matching questions are designed to mix up the possible answers for students so that they can match answers to the choices presented.  The "Shuffle Answers" option you see, as described in What options are available in Canvas quizzes?, is not directly associated with the Matching question type.  That option is, I believe, designed more for multiple choice questions (anyone know of other question types this applies to...if any?).

I hope this helps, Christian!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @u0743737 ​...

Although this Canvas Guide, How do I create a Matching quiz question?, doesn't really mention it, Matching questions are designed to mix up the possible answers for students so that they can match answers to the choices presented.  The "Shuffle Answers" option you see, as described in What options are available in Canvas quizzes?, is not directly associated with the Matching question type.  That option is, I believe, designed more for multiple choice questions (anyone know of other question types this applies to...if any?).

I hope this helps, Christian!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I just ran into this question earlier this week and Chris is correct that matching questions do seem to randomize the order of the answer options, regardless of whether the shuffle answers option is checked or not. I'm going to add this feedback on the Matching question guide so maybe they'll update it to include this.

I propose somewhat of a workaround: I want students to be able to see and focus on the sorted list, so I include the list of possible answers in the text of the question, just as they would see the list in a hard-copy (i.e., old-fashioned) exam. Of course, they can't check off the answers as each choice is used, but I think the sorted visual in addition to the randomized pull-down list would be helpful.

Image is a screenshot showing the nice, gentle table of choices compared to the confusing jumble in the drop-down list:

273956_Screen- 2018-04-27 at 5.23.22 PM.png

I wish they would rethink this one. If I have part identification and use letters or numbers for the question. The way it is set up it shuffles the numbers up regardless of the side I put them on. This makes it hard for the students to process the question because they are not only looking for an answer they have to find the number or letter that goes with it as well. How do I get Canvas to look at changing this and having the shuffle option allow you to shuffle them only if you want them shuffled. The answers are already shuffled automatically.

mpfoster
Surveyor

I agree -- I'm trying to use the matching question type to allow students to select answers that have a logical order (i.e., smallest to largest). It's silly to have those answers randomized.

The multiple dropdown question type is an alternative, but requires individually typing in each answer option for each dropdown. Infuriating.