cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Are observers able to view grades, assignments, etc. of students in Canvas iOS App?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've looked through the documentation, and I haven't been able to find the answer.

I know that the iOS App has limitations.

I have a parent (with Observer privs) inquiring as to whether she has access to her linked students in the iOS Canvas App like she does in the web interface.  She would like to check grades and assignments for her students (and switch between them) on her mobile device.

Is this possible for her to do within her observer account, or is this a limitation of the app?

Thanks,

Eric DeJulio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Just as an update on this question, observers can now view student grades using the Canvas Parent app.

Release notes: Canvas Parent (Beta) Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0)

Documentation: Mobile Guides - Canvas Parent

Please note that you have to create a separate account Canvas Parent. Currently, observer accounts are not associated with accounts in Canvas Parent.

Additionally, the institution controls whether or not they allow parents to access student data from their institution.

The app is in beta, so it will continue to receive additional changes and enhancements.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello Eric,

There is currently a known issue that is preventing observers from viewing observees grades in the mobile apps.  Is is an API issue that is causing observers are seeing their own grades instead of the grades of the user they are observing (and being observers they do not have grades).

Highlighted

And when will this be fixed? It's been several months now that our parents can't see their children's grades when using the app. Not good!

Highlighted

Actually this issue was marked as resolved in our internal tracking system and tickets associated with it were closed as of yesterday. 

Highlighted

OK, I found out a little more.  The issue with the API is fixed now but the mobile apps may still need to be updated to take advantage of the new change.

Highlighted

Scott

When you say the mobile apps need to be updated, do you mean that they need to be updated by Instructure? I deleted and reinstalled the iPad app (thinking that there might be a newer version), and it didn't fix it.

Highlighted

Yes, I meant that the apps may now still need to be updated by our mobile team.

Highlighted

Scott- Do we know if the Mobile Team has updates the apps to have Observers be able to see their students Grades/Assignments?

Thank you-

Dianne

Highlighted

Hi Dianne.

You will want to follow the progress on Canvas Studio: Parent App​.  Work is underway!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Just as an update on this question, observers can now view student grades using the Canvas Parent app.

Release notes: Canvas Parent (Beta) Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0)

Documentation: Mobile Guides - Canvas Parent

Please note that you have to create a separate account Canvas Parent. Currently, observer accounts are not associated with accounts in Canvas Parent.

Additionally, the institution controls whether or not they allow parents to access student data from their institution.

The app is in beta, so it will continue to receive additional changes and enhancements.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post