cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_a_m_tuerlings
Surveyor II

Are students able to leave MC question open after answering?

I am struggling with the Canvas Quizzes and applying a guessing correction. Normally we test on paper and ask our students to leave a MC question open when they do not know the answer (for calculation of the guessing correction). I see that in Canvas students can skip a question if they do not want to answer. However, once a student has clicked one of the answers it does not seem possible to leave the question open anymore. Students are then forced to choose between the options. 

Is there a possibility that students can remove their answer on an MC question after they have initially chosen one of the options? 

Aniek Tuerlings

1 Reply
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @a_a_m_tuerlings   I don't believe that there is a way to remove all responses from a question once one has been selected.  Perhaps someone else reading this has a solution, but you might consider contracting Canvas Support (see How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) as they may have some additional insight.

If there isn't a way to remove a response, an option may be to add another answer choice for "leave blank".  This way a student can choose not to answer a question, but if they do they have another option for indicating they would have.  Just a though.

I hope this helps!