cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner

Are there any good alternative to Lock Down Browser ?

We continue to have issues with Respondus Lock Down Browser (on iOS - we are an iPad 1:1 campus). Has anyone explored alternatives ?

8 Replies
Community Member

I don't know of any tool that works the same way (preventing a student from performing any other functions while taking the exam). We have explored online proctoring options, but it's a pricier option. Is that something you would consider an "alternative", or are you just looking for literally the same kind of thing as LDB?

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi sharris@maryville.edu

Curious what your issues are with LDB on iPads. We have been a Respondus school for quite awhile now, and were quite happy when they made it available for iPads. We have experienced almost no issues, whether iPad, Mac or PC.

Have you tried working with the vendor? We have experienced nothing but great service from Respondus.

Kelley

Kelley,

We looked into Respoundus but they currently don't have anything to support quizzes.next or Gauge, have you heard anything about that?

Thanks 

Hi ysmalls

I do know that Respondus is currently working with Canvas to develop what needs to be in order for it to work with Quizzes.Next, but know nothing about Gauge.

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu,  that's what they mentioned to me in January.  I was hoping to hear that they already had something in place or that they were testing something.

Thanks for the update.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, sharris@maryville.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 8, 2018.  It looks like you've received some feedback from tdelillo@alamo.edu and kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu.  Have you had an opportunity to review their feedback?  If so, did either of their replies help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this issue?  If you feel that either Tracey's or Kelley's response has helped to answer your question, please click on the "Mark Correct" button next to their reply.  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Sam.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Surveyor II

I, too, am looking for an alternative to Respondus LDB, only because I'm noticing an increase in students bringing Chromebooks to campus. Because of their popularity and affordability, I imagine we will see more of these Chromebooks on campus. LDB does not support Chromebooks, and I understand why they cannot, but I'm wondering if there is an alternative, or if anyone has more information about this out there? 

Instructure
Instructure

Here is an alternative to Respondus, however I'm not sure if it's better/reliable etc: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6795