cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Are there any plans on adding the ability to rotate images in the Rich Content Editor?

Any photos I take in a portrait orientation with my Android phone always end up rotated wrong without exclusion in the Canvas app.

You cannot upload photos from your computer directly with the version of Canvas I have, so you have to upload an image to a folder in your account after sending it from your phone to your laptop and rotating it with other photo editing software before finally being able to post it in the correct orientation.

This seems very inefficient. It would at least be helped if the ability to upload images for comments in discussions from a computer was present.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, isabel.giang@bellevuecollege.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  You are correct that there currently is no way to rotate images that have been uploaded to Canvas.  But, I did find a Feature Idea that seems to be related to what you'd like to see implemented inside of Canvas: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4658-to-be-able-to-rotate-an-image-inside-the-rich-content-edi....  So, if you feel that this Feature Idea aligns with your needs, I would encourage you to vote on it and maybe even add a comment as to why it is important to you.  Instructure (the folks that make Canvas) do read our comments, and they appreciate getting feedback from us end-users.

Also, you had mentioned that photos taken from your Android phone were rotated when uloaded into Canvas.  One thing I've read on the Internet for iPhones is that instead of hitting the button to take a picture, you can actually use the volume buttons on the side of the phone to take the picture, and the rotation should "stick".  Now, I don't know if the same holds true for Android phones, but it's maybe worth a try.

I hope this helps a bit, Isabel.

Highlighted

This was not helpful.  How does one fix a photo that is already taken?  Voting on something does not help me at all.  

Highlighted

julie.crowell@lakotaonline.com...

Any images currently in your course that need rotated need to be edited in an offline capacity and then re-uploaded into your Canvas course.  It may be as simple, for example, as opening the image in the Windows Paint program on your Windows computer, possibly rotating it, and then re-saving the file.  There aren't any tools directly in Canvas that I'm aware of that would allow you to rotate an image online.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

isabel.giang@bellevuecollege.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie