Highlighted
Community Member

Arrangement of Discussion Questions

I was told that the Discussion questions show up in order of creation/activity, but I want the Discussion Questions to  match the order of Assignments, e.g.,Assignment #1, Discussion #1. I was told that I could "pin the discussions," but if they're "pinned," do they stay in the original order that they were created in, or do the discussions move so that the most recent discussion is on top?

I just wanted the Discussion questions to show up in the order that I first created them when the course starts, and they can rise and fall after that, but apparently the "system" doesn't allow that.

20 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer III

Howdy howdavis@wharton.upenn.edu‌,

I believe that you can arrange the order of pinned discussions using drag & drop. I just tested it out in my own class.

Read more on how to move or reorder discussion.

Hope that helps;let us know.

Sky V.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks. I understand that I can move discussions to "pinned discussions" to get the order of discussions that I want. But my questions is if I do that when the course goes live will the pinned discussions move to reflect the most recent discussion activity?

Highlighted
Explorer III

Howdy howdavis@wharton.upenn.edu‌,

Thanks for the question clarification. So it says that the pinned section is arranged by recent activity, but I tested it out with the test student (because I do not remember my pinned discussions ever changing order). After my test, there was no re-ordering on desktop nor mobile app.

Sky V.

Highlighted
Community Member

If the pinned discussion stay in the order that I set, does that order remain even after students have posted comments in a discussion? if that's the case, then I would have to let student know which discussion forum to post to since the "current" (relevant) forum will not be on top.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

howardmichaeldavis@gmail.com...

Many people create all their topics in the "Discussions" index page as you are doing but also hide that page from students.  Then, they build out their content via the "Modules" screen.  This way, you can organize all of your content the way you want, and you don't have to be concerned about where the discussion topics may move to on the "Discussions" index page based on student responses.  Here are a couple resources for you:

How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Chris, Not to be dense, but I'm not sure (If I hide discussion) how students get to the discussion forums.

ALSO, I need to delete my email address in my Profile, but the edit profile tool doesn't let me delete my email address. I already have a gmail address which I've been using for all Canvas correspondence, and I don't need my "home" email address to also get flooded.  Any idea how to delete/edit my email address?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

Hi howardmdavis@comcast.net...

Chris, Not to be dense, but I'm not sure (If I hide discussion) how students get to the discussion forums

As I mentioned in my previous response, you would build out your content in your "Modules" index page...which includes any/all of your Discussion topics.  I believe that stefaniesanders‌ had responded to you in your other topic, File upload icon? in Assignments, where she gave you a link to this Guide: How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?.  This way, you can build out your content via modules any way that you want....using a combination of Pages, Discussions, Quizzes, Assignments, etc.

ALSO, I need to delete my email address in my Profile, but the edit profile tool doesn't let me delete my email address. I already have a gmail address which I've been using for all Canvas correspondence, and I don't need my "home" email address to also get flooded.  Any idea how to delete/edit my email address?

You need to have at least one e-mail address associated with your profile.  So, I believe you would first need to add a second e-mail address to your profile in order to delete the other?  I'm not 100% sure on this...and maybe even more unsure because you are using a FFT account...which I've never used since our school has a paid Canvas account.  Check out this Guide to see if it might help you: How do I change my default email address in my user account as an instructor?.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks. I'll check out the suggestions about the discussion.

(Still having issues w/ the email. I'm trying to get rid of my personal email address, which has a star" next to it in the profile, but when I try to add another account, my gmail address, the System says, "ID already in use for this account and authentication provider."

If this is too arcane, is there a way to get a Canvas sysadmin to help?

Thanks, again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

howardmdavis@comcast.net...

I checked with erinhallmark‌ at Instructure, and she said that your "Help" menu in Canvas has an option to contact the Canvas Support help desk.

Hope this helps.