cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

As the course instructor, how do I delete a student's initial, original quiz attempt and then re-post (or reset) the quiz for that student, while keeping it active during the same parameters originally established?

Jump to solution

This student accidentally clicked on the "submit" button (how, I don't know) and submitted it within a minute or two of the quiz being open.  The quiz is ongoing for the other students.  Students only have 1 attempt.  I tried re-releasing it to that student, along with everyone else, maintaining the same due date, but I could not delete the previous submission attempt.  If I can't delete that, the student will not be able to complete it.  Please help!!  (I am a new Canvas user; finding the quiz features, including the list of questions, etc. in the 'Help' section for Instructors NOT to be user friendly 😞

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Greetings! There is no way in the current version of quizzes to reset a student’s attempt or delete an attempt or submission. The most you can do is give them another attempt. Or, in an extreme case, create a new identical quiz and only assign it to the one Student - so other students wouldn’t see it. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello scote@csus.edu Thank You for posting your question.  I'm not sure which version of quizzes you are using in your course.  To confirm, have you carried out the steps in one of these Guides:

Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts? (current Quizzes)

Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time? (current Quizzes)

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15038-4152790671 (Quizzes.Next)

Hoping that one of these Guides will be of help to you.  Please let us know if you have additional questions or if the Guides didn't help to answer your question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris, thanks for providing those guides, etc.  Although the first one about extra attempts gets close to solving my issue, it actually doesn't.  I am not looking to give any student extra attempts.  I simply want to delete the initial submission, because it was submitted within a minute or two of opening the quiz (submitted in error) and then provide a fresh attempt.  I am looking for a "Quiz Reset."  I clicked on 'related content,' 'Reset Quizzes,' and was really disappointed in the answers that were provided to the  question, and this was about 1 year ago or so. The answers were basically, "No, there is no way an instructor can delete a quiz attempt for 1 student and then reset it for that one student."  I was really shocked to be honest.  All I keep hearing is how user friendly Canvas is, and this is the opposite!  This process was super-easy in Blackboard, and I thought Blackboard was a nightmare.

Anyway, maybe there has been a fix with the resetting of quizzes for individual students.  If so.... any suggestions of where to look for the guide?  This student told me that this is a common error that submitting quizzes early, by accident (whether due to a careless finger swipe on an iPad or whatever), etc. and that instructors have been able to reset it for them.  I just don't know how.

Thanks for any other ideas/help you--or anyone--can provide!!

~Sue

Highlighted
Navigator

Hi scote@csus.edu...

Thank you for the extra explanation.  It does sound like you are using the current Quizzes engine and not Quizzes.Next at the moment.  I wonder if the third Guide I linked to would be what you're looking to accomplish?  I know that not every school has made the migration from current Quizzes to Quizzes.Next yet, and so you may need to talk with someone (such as a local Canvas admin) at your school to see what their plan is regarding Quizzes.Next.  I'm fairly sure that because Quizzes.Next is the new quizzing engine, there isn't much work (if any) being done on current Quizzes.

Since I am an admin at our school and do not teach, I don't have a lot of experience with grading/extending time, etc. for students...other than the suggestions I've posted above.  I'll defer to other people here in the Community that might have more information to share.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris,   Thanks again for trying to help me out.  I met with my campus IT folks this morning, and they were able to help me out.  The links to the resources you provided may have actually helped me out--I think.  But it was very helpful to me to sit down with someone and have them walk me through the process of "reposting" or "resetting" a quiz for a student, which turns out to be providing an additional attempt for the student. I also learned about how to give individual students additional time to complete quizzes, which some might need with respect to accommodations, etc.  

Anyway, just wanted to thank you, again, for taking the time to assist me. I appreciate it!!

Take care and have a fantastic day!

Best, Sue

Highlighted
Community Member

The extra attempt would work unless you are averaging the grades.  I cannot find a way to get rid of that erroneous submission unless I make a new quiz for the student and only post it for him.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Greetings! There is no way in the current version of quizzes to reset a student’s attempt or delete an attempt or submission. The most you can do is give them another attempt. Or, in an extreme case, create a new identical quiz and only assign it to the one Student - so other students wouldn’t see it. 

View solution in original post