cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahimsel
Surveyor II

Assign zero in Grades for missed work?

Jump to solution

I want students' missed work (i.e., past assignments students did not complete) to be scored as zero. This is an issue because I drop two quizzes and one exam, and Canvas does not "drop" missed work unless it is scored as a zero. I go back into the Grades area periodically and manually enter zeros to replace the dashes, but I want to automate this task so I don't have to worry about forgetting to do it!

In my own search of the Canvas Guides, I have not found a way to do this automatically. I have learned that the option to "treat ungraded items as zero" does not solve my problem. Any ideas? Is it something obvious that I'm just missing? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @ahimsel ‌ - You are not alone, and no--there is not something you are overlooking.  In fact, there are two similar items on the Product Radar and a very recent Feature Idea open for voting.  Bottom line, in general, is that it appears Canvas is aware of the need for something like this, but there is not a specific timeline for implementation:

Voting is still open on all, I believe.  And yes, I constantly have to remind my own faculty that it is very important to remember to add in zeroes when dropping the lowest grade from an assignment group!  It is easy to forget to do...hence the rather lengthy listing of Feature Ideas, from which I'm probably even missing one or two!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @ahimsel ‌ - You are not alone, and no--there is not something you are overlooking.  In fact, there are two similar items on the Product Radar and a very recent Feature Idea open for voting.  Bottom line, in general, is that it appears Canvas is aware of the need for something like this, but there is not a specific timeline for implementation:

Voting is still open on all, I believe.  And yes, I constantly have to remind my own faculty that it is very important to remember to add in zeroes when dropping the lowest grade from an assignment group!  It is easy to forget to do...hence the rather lengthy listing of Feature Ideas, from which I'm probably even missing one or two!

View solution in original post

Thanks so much for your prompt response! I kept thinking I must be missing something, but now I know I can put my own search of the guides to rest (and spend that time entering zeros...).

kblack
Community Member

Happy to help, Amy!  One other thought that may work for you is this:

You can see why it's critically important to mute it first in this scenario!  But this way, everyone's grade will be preset to zero first.  You can then grade everyone who turned it in, and then unmute it.  Those who never turned it in will already have their grades set to zero.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ahimsel ...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular topic since July 10th.  In reviewing your conversation with  @kblack ‌, it looks like he's given you some great help here.  Rather than marking just one of his responses as "Correct" (since he replied twice), I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  But, by all means, if you still have any outstanding questions related to your initial question, please post them below.  We can always remove the "Assumed Answered" label if need be.  (Or, if you feel that one of Ken's responses is "Correct", you could mark it as such.)  I hope this is okay with you, Amy.

Finally, I'm not sure if this totally relates, but in the August 5, 2017 Production Release Notes, Instructure added "Missing" and "Late" labels to the Grades and SpeedGrader...which you may have seen.  Here's the link for your reference: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11967#jive_content_id_Late_and_Missing_Status_Labels 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, Amy!