cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Assignment Categories/Content Order Changes when Copying a Module from one Course to Another

Is there a way to prevent my assignment categories from changing when you copy a module/assignment/quiz/etc. from one course to another? I have been using the "Copy To" feature located within the Modules tab (by clicking on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the module) to copy the content from one course to another. Sometimes, it retains the assignment categories and sometimes it changes the categories to "Imported Assignments". Is there a way to prevent this?

Sometimes, the content order changes when I copy it from one course to another. Is there a way to prevent this? I am copying it the same way I described above. Everything is still in the module, but not where it was originally placed within the module. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @rhovey 

No idea why this is happening, but have you tried just using the Course Import Tool instead of the item copy feature?

How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import Tool?

Let us know how this works out.

Kelley

Tags (1)

I have used that method to copy course content before. I just tried using that method to copy the content. When you copy an entire course, it works great and retains all the assignment categories. When you copy an individual assignment or a module, it changes everything to the "Imported Assignments" category.

Based on my personal experiences with it, both copying methods seem to work better when everything is published before you copy it. With the first copying method I described (the "Copy To" feature), it seems to work better if you wait to close out of the window (when you get the message that it has successfully started copying) for a few minutes.

It's pretty easy to change the assignment categories, but if you have any suggestions/advice, I would love to try it out.