Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbond
Community Member

Assignment Page Default for Student View

Jump to solution

Hi:

Is there a way to make the Assignment page default to the Type view (rather than the Date view) in Student View?

Jill

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbond ‌, I teach math (part time) and work with faculty and students using Canvas (full time) and in general I don't think most of my faculty actually understand the math behind weighted grades. Why do I say this? Because they often send their students to me to explain their grades. As for the students, in general students do not understand weighted grades. Heck, math in general is a sticking point for many students. That's why I normally recommend a straight points based gradebook. Students understand it easier and can calculate it themselves. Yet, as an Instructor I like the weighted gradebook because then I feel like I don't have to worry about the number of points or if I want to add an assignment here or there. 

All this being said, there is no way on the front end of Canvas to make it default to type over date. It could probably done on the back-end programmatically, but I leave that to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=ae09f1ee-548a-4f38-adef-...‌ group in the Community. 

So, what can you do? Here are some ideas:

* Provide a sheet (word doc or page) explaining (math and words) how weighting assignments works in the course. 

* Create a video showing students how the different assignments factor into their grade and how to switch to type from date on the Assignemnt page. 

* Provide students with information on how to use "what-if" grades in the gradebook - this could also be a video - and demonstrate how one assignment counts more than other assignments. 

* Have a self-guided assignment where students go through different grade scenarios. For example: what happens to your grade if you get a zero on this assignment? What about half credit? What if the zero was for Assignemnt B instead? Does your grade change more or less?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jbond 

There is a way you can accomplish this in Canvas by sorting your assignments into Assignment Groups such as: Assignments, Homework, Practice, Participation, Quizzes, etc. That is actually how my own courses are set up. However, I don't make the Assignments index page available to my students. All of my assignments are included in their respective modules, logically named, and set under Text headers that identify the type (see example below). I simply organize my assignments page that way for my own convenience.

228043_pastedImage_2.png

You can learn more about Assignment Groups at How do I add an assignment group in a course? 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

jbond
Community Member

Thanks, Kelley! Yes, those are important pointers. The Modules page indeed offers the possibility of a concise course map for assignments. However, I am curious about how the student might understand their grading and weighting better if, when a student accesses the Assignment page, the view defaults to Type rather than sorting assignment by Date.

Here is an example of the Date view of the Assignments page in Student view:

228071_pastedImage_1.png

Here is an example of the Type view of the Assignments page in Student view (which we see as admins/faculty when setting up a course):

228072_pastedImage_2.png

Students can see the grade weighting broken down on the Syllabus page as well (and hopefully in the Syllabus doc itself), but I am trying to think of innovative ways to get students engaged in which Canvas assignments go under which weighted categories in order to further their understanding of how they are being assessed.

Thanks for your input!

Jill

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbond ‌, I teach math (part time) and work with faculty and students using Canvas (full time) and in general I don't think most of my faculty actually understand the math behind weighted grades. Why do I say this? Because they often send their students to me to explain their grades. As for the students, in general students do not understand weighted grades. Heck, math in general is a sticking point for many students. That's why I normally recommend a straight points based gradebook. Students understand it easier and can calculate it themselves. Yet, as an Instructor I like the weighted gradebook because then I feel like I don't have to worry about the number of points or if I want to add an assignment here or there. 

All this being said, there is no way on the front end of Canvas to make it default to type over date. It could probably done on the back-end programmatically, but I leave that to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=ae09f1ee-548a-4f38-adef-...‌ group in the Community. 

So, what can you do? Here are some ideas:

* Provide a sheet (word doc or page) explaining (math and words) how weighting assignments works in the course. 

* Create a video showing students how the different assignments factor into their grade and how to switch to type from date on the Assignemnt page. 

* Provide students with information on how to use "what-if" grades in the gradebook - this could also be a video - and demonstrate how one assignment counts more than other assignments. 

* Have a self-guided assignment where students go through different grade scenarios. For example: what happens to your grade if you get a zero on this assignment? What about half credit? What if the zero was for Assignemnt B instead? Does your grade change more or less?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

jbond
Community Member

Kona, this is very helpful! So true about faculty and grade weighting. Thanks for your insights!

Jill

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbond ‌, based on our conversation I created the following assignment to help students understand weighted gradebooks - Student Activity: Understanding Weighted Gradebook. Feel free to use/tweak to make it useful for your course/students! 🙂

jbond
Community Member

Thank you so much!

tross
Explorer II

@jbond ‌  We prefer our teachers hide the assignments link on the Course Navigation.  We are K-12.  In 7-12 they students generally access through Modules.  In K-6, they generally access through Pages.  

jbond
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your approach. Very interesting food for thought!

Jill

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jbond ‌...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since May 10th, and so I wanted to check in with you.  It looks like you've received some helpful feedback from members of the Canvas Community!  Did any particular response help to answer your question so that it could be marked as "Correct"?  Or, do you have still have some questions as it relates to your initial posting?  If you feel that one of the above replies is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you still have questions, please post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to help you.

The other thought I had is...if you don't feel any particular answer is "Correct", we could change this "Questions" to a "Discussion" since you've gotten a couple different responses/approaches to your question.  "Questions" typically have one "Correct" answer, but "Discussions" are more open-ended.  I'll leave that up to you to decide, though.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Jill!