Assignment Questions

Jump to solution
dschmickle
Community Member

Hi! 

Is it possible for students to post questions IN an assignment, as opposed to a discussion or something? 

I teach graphic design, and post lengthy project briefs. And by the time they get to the bottom of the page, or perhaps after working on it for a while, students will inevitably have questions. 

I would like to keep these questions corralled to the assignment itself and visible to classmates, rather than lost in my email inbox, or in a separate discussion.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @dschmickle ...

Sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here without a response for quite some time.  By design, Assignments do not allow you to have an area below your instructions where students can post questions for all to see.  Assignments are designed so that students can submit work to you, and then you and the individual student have one-on-one communication about the assignment and the eventual grade the student received/earned.  A graded discussion may work, but graded discussions don't really allow for file submissions that can be viewed in SpeedGrader.  I know that you said you wanted to keep everything together, but I'm not sure if that will be possible.  You may just need to create a normal assignment and then create a separate non-graded discussion topic.  In the assignment, you could make a link to the discussion topic telling students to use that discussion topic if they have any questions.

I hope this will help to give you a work-around idea.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post