cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valarie_a_wittm
Not applicable

Assignment Submission options: Web URL or File Upload

Jump to solution

Hi, all. I set a recent assignment with the Submission type set to Online. I had Web URL and File Upload both checked.

If students submitted both a URL and a file upload, only one or the other shows up. Did I configure the assignment incorrectly, or is it not possible for a student to select both types of submissions?

They had the assignment option to either submit a standard PowerPoint (file upload) or narrate the PPt, save as video, and upload to YouTube (URL), in addition to a spreadsheet submission (file upload only).

Any thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @valarie_a_wittm .  You had an interesting question so I tried it out in my sandbox.  It looks as though whatever option the student is on last when they submit is recorded.  So if they attach a file and website, and are on the website tab when they submit the assignment, only this is kept and vice versa. 

In my testing, I went back and submitted the assignment twice‌, once with a file and once with a website and in Speedgrader I could view both of the submissions by looking at the submission history.

I would also be interested in hearing if there is a way to submit files and URLs at the same time, but thought I would let you know what I found and am guessing there is not currently a way to accomplish this.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @valarie_a_wittm .  You had an interesting question so I tried it out in my sandbox.  It looks as though whatever option the student is on last when they submit is recorded.  So if they attach a file and website, and are on the website tab when they submit the assignment, only this is kept and vice versa. 

In my testing, I went back and submitted the assignment twice‌, once with a file and once with a website and in Speedgrader I could view both of the submissions by looking at the submission history.

I would also be interested in hearing if there is a way to submit files and URLs at the same time, but thought I would let you know what I found and am guessing there is not currently a way to accomplish this.

Best wishes!

View solution in original post

Thanks for playing around with this. It's a little clumsy to have students upload twice. I wish Canvas would just bundle the URL (which is an HTML file) and the document submissions together in the download.

No problem  @valarie_a_wittm !  You might consider creating a feature idea for this.  There may be others that feel similarly!  If you haven't done this before, here are a couple of documents that may help.

How do I create a new feature idea?

How does the feature idea process work?

I'll do that. Thanks for the links!

Hi  @valarie_a_wittm . I happened to be looking through the ideas in product radar and found one that matches what you mentioned.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1110-allow-multiple-submission-types-on-the-same-assignment?sr...

There looks to be a good deal of support for the idea but I went ahead and voted it up as well.  Figure it can't hurt!

lmoline
Community Participant

It is now 2019. Has Canvas created a way for an assignment to require multiple submission components? I regularly require items to be handed in hardcopy as well as with a file attachment, or submit a url in addition to a file attachment. It is problematic to make students submit multiple components in separate steps. It is not practical to set up different assignments for separate hand-in requirements.

Hi  @lmoline and welcome to the Community!  I found this information on the page about future assignment design priorities (Priority: Assignments 2.0😞

"Why we’re working on Assignments
Assignments is one of the most popular topics in the community, and data shows it is the most frequently used feature in Canvas. We want to make it easier to set up an Assignment and easier for students to Submit. We want to give you more options and more flexibility through improved user experience. We also see an opportunity to make the Assignment feedback loop between instructors and students undeniably awesome.

Our Plan
For Teachers

Simplify the user interface
Restrict attempts
Define when lti tools (like dropbox, google & office) can be used for submission
Require more than one submission type (url AND file upload OR Text Entry)
Submit on behalf of the student
Add extensions to individual students
Improved RCE sidebar interactions

For Students

Everything on one page (no separate page for submission details)
Less clicks to submit
Access to previous submissions
Better DocViewer Feedback visibility"

I am not sure how long any of these priorities will take to fully develop, but it is good news that this feature is on the list!

I did a bit more testing and if you want a file submitted and a URL, you could have students attach the file and under the "comments" box, paste the URL.  In SpeedGrader you can see both and the students has not been required to submit the assignment multiple times.

I hope this helps and best wishes!