cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smoss
Community Member

Assignment Visibility

I allow my students to correct their papers and re-submit them in order to improve their grades.  My students tell me that once I insert a grade for the first turn-in they can only see the grade for the assignment.  I have notes and guidelines attached to each assignment to help students be successful.  Is there a setting which will allow students to continue seeing the assignment description even after it is graded?

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @smoss ‌ - This is odd behavior, because certainly the assignment description should always be able to be seen, depending on where it is.  But there could a few things at play here.

A recorded grade technically does not prevent the student from submitting an assignment again IF it is not past the Until date, if you set one.  (And I suspect you have.)  There will always be a Resubmit Assignment button in the student's view of an assignment, grade or no grade.  However, if you set an Until date, that is the date after which no more submissions can be made.

As for comments....that may be a separate issue.  If you are using the crocodoc service in Speedgrader and making comments directly on their submission that way, unfortunately students are only able to see their most recent submission's comments.  This is a known issue, and in fact is something that is currently on Canvas' Product Radar:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1076-student-view-view-submissions-and-comments-for-all-submis... .  Something that students do not always realize is that they can download a PDF version of the document with your comments once you make them as shown in the Download File section of this document:  How do I view assignment feedback comments from my instructor using Crocodoc annotations?  However, this will only work until they make the next submission.  Once a student makes another submission, it effectively (in their view) overwrites their original submission and they can no longer access it.  (YOU can, as the instructor, but they cannot.)

Do you think this may be the issue or am I missing something somewhere?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@smoss , everything  @kblack ‌ has said is on the money. It occurs to me that you might be describing your students' experience through the mobile app, and if that's the case, could you specify? My understanding, according to esteemed mobile guru  @rseilham ‌, is that once an assignment is closed, it is true that students accessing their assignments through the iOS app can no longer see the assignment description or feedback--only the grade. However, students using the Android app will not experience this difficulty, nor will they have this problem if they use the browser (either mobile or desktop). So please clarify if you're only referring to the mobile experience on iOS. And in the meantime, you can direct those students wanting to review the assignment description to use the browser.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @smoss ‌...

We haven't heard from you since you first posted this message on March 2nd, and so I thought I would check in with you.  Have you had a chance to review the above postings from  @kblack ‌ and stefaniesanders‌?  If so, did either of their responses help to answer your question?  If you feel that either Ken's or Stefanie's reply is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you are still seeking help with your initial question, please let us know that, too, so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you with your question(s).  For now, because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over a month, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional comments or questions related to your question below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Elise!