cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ja46272
Community Member

Assignment not assigned to everyone visible to everyone in "coming up"

I have three sections.  I needed to have one assignment for each section that only that section could see.  I did not want the other sections seeing each other's assignments.  It was easy to create as an assignment which was assigned to only one section.  However, what happened was that each assignment was visible for everyone in "coming up."  Thus, students were able to click on other sections' assignments and this caused problems.  I would like to see the permissions set in such a way that if an assignment is not assigned to you, you cannot see it anywhere.

Screenshot of Assignment Visible in Coming Up for student in "other" section

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hmm... that shouldn't have happened if you used the "Assign to" for the Assignment and only picked one section. I've tested this a lot and never had it show up (or even be an option) to the other sections/students. Could you post a screen shot of the assignment settings fromnone of the assignments?

ja46272
Community Member

Thanks for your reply.  I've added the screenshot above.  I don't see anywhere where I made an obvious mistake.  After I saw this, though, I did implement a sloppy hack.  For the assignment, for "everyone else", I made the "available from" date in the year 2050.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'll agree that I don't see any obvious issue with how you set things up. The only thing that possibly comes to mind is that this is a not graded assignment and I've only tested this with graded assignments. This shouldn't (in theory) make a difference, but makes me wonder if that might be it. Have you tried this with graded assignments and gotten the same results?

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ja46272

I just tested this in my sandbox, and the assignment was not visible in To-Do/Coming Up for the non assigned sections.

However, what we see happen with our own faculty, is that when they try to take an existing assignment and restrict it to just one section, they leave the second "Assign To" box set for Everyone. If that is what happened, then you need to click the "X" on that second box to make it go away. Not saying that is what is happening here, just throwing that out there because I cannot see the bottom of the Assign To box in your screenshot. See screenshot below.................

248098_pastedImage_1.png

If you don't have the second "Assign To" box open, then I would submit a support ticket.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

ja46272
Community Member

Kelley, thanks.  This is possible that this happened, but I have no way to check now (because of the sloppy hack I mentioned above where after the fact I assigned to everyone else with super future available date).  I didn't intentionally assign to "everyone else" but it's possible I clicked accidentally and everyone else autofilled.  Thanks for the comment.