Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Assignments/Quizzes/Rubics Help

Jump to solution

Hi all!

I am a long-time lurker and appreicate all of the help and insight this form provides.

I am a tech coach at a middle school and the following is the predicament I am in:

Objective: Each quarter, teachers are required to give a summative assessment.  Part of that assessment has the following requirements: read 3 articles, answer 3 questions about each one (main idea, etc), then one question at the end that ties them all together (compare and contrast, etc).  Teachers have a rubric on how they are to grade each question (which I have recreated in Canvas).  We would like to adminster this part of the test and use the rubric all inside Canvas.

Dead-Ends So Far:

• Creating a quiz with individual questions does not allow teachers to use a rubric.  The rubric that can be added to an entire quiz does not grade the quiz (teachers would have to give individual scores for all 10 questions and click the rubric 10 times...they will hate me).  It would be nice if you could use a rubric for individual essay questions inside a quiz or have a rubric grade the quiz.
  • Google Drive Cloud Assignment - Create a Google Doc Template.  Teachers could copy/paste their articles in, followed by the questions.  See the responses in Speedgrader.  Add the rubric.  Sounds perfect until you realize the kids now have a copy of the exam in their Drive that they could share with others.
  • Google Drive Cloud Assignment with a Google Form - Doesn't seem to work with Forms.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get Form responses into Speedgrader somehow?
  • Regular assignment - I am thinking this is the only all-digital option.  It is not ideal as it is not as secure as a quiz and students would have to number each question as they go in the text box.

I think the route we are going with for now is to give a quiz that includes all of the articles and questions, set each question a point-value of zero (except the last question), use a paper rubric to add up the score, enter that value on the last question.

Does anyone have any other ideas for the specific situation?

Thanks for reading. Sorry for the book.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

peter.downey@mooresvilleschools.org,

This is out of my area of expertise, but it sounds like Outcomes may be beneficial to you. You cannot grade a quiz using the rubric, but you can attach a rubric that has learning outcomes measured within it and then collect data about it through that process.

One thing that is in my powerhouse is QuizWiz: Enhancements to SpeedGrader and Quizzes. There's an option there to automatically assign points to an essay question and then you only have to take away where needed. It might be an alternative to making the final problem worth all the points. You could also use the fudge points to change the final grade if you didn't want the points assigned to a specific problem. QuizWiz also duplicates the header at the bottom of a question, so you can read the question and assign the points without having to scroll back up. It adds fudge points to the top, so you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to change them; this would be beneficial if you're filling out the rubric and then want to assign the fudge points as the grade. It even has an "Update score and advance to next user" or a "Save rubric and advance to next user" to save keystrokes or mouse movement and clicks.

I've got another idea, but I'm not sure that it would work and it would be very contingent upon how you have things set up. If there was a 1-1 correspondence between quizzes and questions and there was a mapping between point values on the rubric and the point values on the quiz questions, it might be able to write some code that would transfer the values from the rubric to the values for the questions on the quiz. That's an advanced idea and might work in your specific case, but I don't know how much of a demand there would be for it.

An easier (I think, I haven't actually tried this) approach, both for the programmer and the teacher, would be to give them an electronic or paper copy of the rubric but not put it into Canvas. Have them grade just the quiz (10 entries instead of 20) questions using the rubric. Then you take the scores on the individual questions in the quiz and use it to come up with the rubric values.

I guess any acceptable solution comes down to what you're trying to do with the rubric. Is it for grading purposes, for data collection purposes, to show the students what they did, or something else.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

peter.downey@mooresvilleschools.org,

This is out of my area of expertise, but it sounds like Outcomes may be beneficial to you. You cannot grade a quiz using the rubric, but you can attach a rubric that has learning outcomes measured within it and then collect data about it through that process.

One thing that is in my powerhouse is QuizWiz: Enhancements to SpeedGrader and Quizzes. There's an option there to automatically assign points to an essay question and then you only have to take away where needed. It might be an alternative to making the final problem worth all the points. You could also use the fudge points to change the final grade if you didn't want the points assigned to a specific problem. QuizWiz also duplicates the header at the bottom of a question, so you can read the question and assign the points without having to scroll back up. It adds fudge points to the top, so you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to change them; this would be beneficial if you're filling out the rubric and then want to assign the fudge points as the grade. It even has an "Update score and advance to next user" or a "Save rubric and advance to next user" to save keystrokes or mouse movement and clicks.

I've got another idea, but I'm not sure that it would work and it would be very contingent upon how you have things set up. If there was a 1-1 correspondence between quizzes and questions and there was a mapping between point values on the rubric and the point values on the quiz questions, it might be able to write some code that would transfer the values from the rubric to the values for the questions on the quiz. That's an advanced idea and might work in your specific case, but I don't know how much of a demand there would be for it.

An easier (I think, I haven't actually tried this) approach, both for the programmer and the teacher, would be to give them an electronic or paper copy of the rubric but not put it into Canvas. Have them grade just the quiz (10 entries instead of 20) questions using the rubric. Then you take the scores on the individual questions in the quiz and use it to come up with the rubric values.

I guess any acceptable solution comes down to what you're trying to do with the rubric. Is it for grading purposes, for data collection purposes, to show the students what they did, or something else.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner II

Pete,

I really get where you are coming from!!

We have skills assignments where we would like the student to enter a certain amount of information about a clinical case, along with their reflections on the case, before being evaluated on how they did.  Apart from the reflection, the information we need is standard, e.g., diagnosis, type of patient, age of patient, gender of patient etc.  Once the student submits the assignment/case writeup we would like to be able to grade it using a rubric.  The first part would work really well as a quiz.

Sadly quizzes and rubrics don't go together from a grading perspective. 

I'm also struggling with Google Docs workarounds and the idea of asking trainers to do the rubric on paper just defeats the purpose of having a digital solution!

Sadly, I've no better suggestion for you.
Barbara

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, peter.downey@mooresvilleschools.org...

I am reviewing some of the older questions posted here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on March 8, 2019.  I see that james@richland.edu and barbaracoen@heedo.com provided you with some feedback at various times this past year.  Have you had an opportunity to review their replies?  If so, did either of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from Community members?  If you feel that James or Barbara has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to his/her reply.  However, if you're still looking for some help, please come back to this thread to post a note below letting Community members know how we might be able to help.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since August 27, 2019.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Pete.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels