Assignments won't submit, please help?

Jump to solution
mcneelya
Community Novice

My son is a freshman in high school and is having intermittent problems with assignments not submitting correctly in canvas. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He usually uploads PDF's of assignments, occasionally a video. Sometimes he gets an error message when he tries to submit and sometimes it looks like the assignment was submitted but then he gets a very long error message that it did not submit. I can't find any answers in the guides for this. He's been to the "expert" in the high school to solve this but it is not solved yet. Any one have any suggestions on how we can try to get this fixed so he's not falling behind on assignments?

5 Solutions
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hello  @mcneelya and welcome to the community!  I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue.  I've looked around a bit and have found a number of posts related to errors submitting assignments, but none with a definite answer that sounds similar to what you are experiencing.  Has your son tried submitting assignments from another device, such as a laptop?  I also wonder if it could be related to the size of the file or if there is an interruption in wireless connection during the submission process.  If he tries to submit assignments from a different location, such as the school itself, does this make a difference?  One other thing I have run into a while ago (long enough that I can't remember if the issue was with Canvas or not) was file names that contained special characters such as / or &.  I remember thinking these uploaded but they did not, although in this instance didn't get some type of error message.  Removing the special characters fixed the issue in this instance.

I don't know if any of these ideas will help but wanted to try and help!

View solution in original post

Thanks for the update  @mcneelya .  Please let us know what happens with the file he just tried to submit.  It would be interesting to know if this time it worked or not!

ibsandoval1
Community Member

I want to expand on my problem in order to get the best help so I went on my canvas app, clicked on the assignment I needed to upload hw for, pressed on file upload which took me to 4 options on the bottom of my screen containing: camera, library, files, and scanner. I pressed camera and tried uploading the picture I had just taken of my paper assignment but then it told me that "the data couldn't be read because it isn't in the correct format" so I thought weird so alternatively I pressed files and I tapped on my imported pdf file. I submitted it and it says submission uploading 2.3 MB of 2.3 MB meaning that the file has been imported successfully. Usually at this point I would get the confetti to show that it submitted but now it stays stuck on the 2.3 out of 2.3 and later says "The data couldn't be read because it isn't in the correct format". As soon as I saw this I thought ok so I guess the update they did on my app overnight caused it to stop being compatible with my app "small.pdf" which allows me to convert my document to pdfs. In response to this on the same canvas app I went to my emails and I wanted to send my professor the file and the camera picture but it didn't even allow me to upload it in my emails either. What is going on ?

ibsandoval1
Community Member

Also keep in mind I have not had a problem with the canvas app all semester. 

0 Likes

@ibsandoval1 

The was an update to the Canvas Student app for iOS recently (v6.9.8) which mentioned solving submissions issues. Can you see if this solves the app issue? Thanks! 

0 Likes