cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landerson3
Community Member

Auto - fill Grades in Grade book ??

Jump to solution

Is there a way to auto-fill the same grade for all students in the gradebook?

For example, the majority of students received a 30/30 on a simple homework assignment. Can I auto fill the same grade for all students, then go back and merely change the one or 2 that didn't turn it in?

Thanks

Lauren

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @lwanderson ​ - Welcome to the Canvas Community!  And yes, Canvas does have this ability, though not in the "auto-fill" way that Excel (for example) does it, but it's still very painless.  You can set a default grade for an assignment by following the instructions given here:  How do I set a default grade for an assignment?   However, since I gather you may be new to Canvas, I cannot recommend strongly enough that before you do this you should mute the assignment so that students do not receive any notifications, as covered here:  How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook? Otherwise, the first (default) grade you input will generate a notification, and then those students who did not get the default grade and for whom you changed the grade will get another notification with the changed grade.  ("Hey, how come you gave me a perfect score and then changed it to a 24???")

So, as I always tell faculty:  Mute, Score, and then Unmute.  (Which is great for the handful of faculty who happened to go to MSU for a mnemonic device.)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @lwanderson ​ - Welcome to the Canvas Community!  And yes, Canvas does have this ability, though not in the "auto-fill" way that Excel (for example) does it, but it's still very painless.  You can set a default grade for an assignment by following the instructions given here:  How do I set a default grade for an assignment?   However, since I gather you may be new to Canvas, I cannot recommend strongly enough that before you do this you should mute the assignment so that students do not receive any notifications, as covered here:  How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook? Otherwise, the first (default) grade you input will generate a notification, and then those students who did not get the default grade and for whom you changed the grade will get another notification with the changed grade.  ("Hey, how come you gave me a perfect score and then changed it to a 24???")

So, as I always tell faculty:  Mute, Score, and then Unmute.  (Which is great for the handful of faculty who happened to go to MSU for a mnemonic device.)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post