Autosave rubric in designer

Jump to solution
SteveNordstrom
Community Novice

I am afraid I just lost about 3 hours of work designing a rubric for my midterm. My guess is that I did not click on the "Create Rubric" button at the bottom of the form, which is hidden if you don't make sure to scroll all the way down. From a UX perspective, it is not visually clear that you need to click that button to save your work. Case in point, Canvas saves *many* other artifacts on a variety of UI events such as clicking to change focus, pressing enter, etc. Also, the meanings of the "Add Rubric" and "Create Rubric" are muddled, since invoking the designer seems to mean "creating" a rubric to me, and "adding" a rubric seems to be making sure it will show up in some list when the time comes to select it.

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating to put that much work into a rubric only to have it not save state. Can you please consider aligning the UX for creating rubrics to match the rest of canvas' design philosophy that instructors work be saved at all possible interactions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @SteveNordstrom ...

Ugh!  Sorry to see that you may have lost your rubric.  That must be frustrating!  There are two things I can address as it relates to your posting:

1. You might want to try creating your rubric via an Excel spreadsheet.  Then, you can use a "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) created by @James Jones which will import it into Canvas for you all at once.  I've used it countless times, and it has saved my hours and hours of time having to input criteria one by one into a rubric.  You can find his write-up at: Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet - Canvas Community.
  2. Your second paragraph sounds like you are requesting a new Feature Idea, and so I would encourage you to create that here in the Community.  You can click on the PRODUCT menu from any screen here in the Community, and then click on IDEA CONVERSATIONS.  Then, select the "Suggest and idea" button.  Here are a few other documents that may help:

I hope these resources will be of help to you. Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post