Availability Dates Hide Assignment Description?

Jump to solution
cpadavano
Community Contributor

My institution users noticed that when a availability dates are set in the future to open and close for students, it doesn't just take away the "Submit" button, but also took away the assignment description the instructor provided. 

I recall this not being the case before, does anyone else recall this being the usual or should the assignmet descriptions be visible? The guide by Canvas states the following "If you want to create a date range for students to view and submit an assignment, you can set availability dates. Availability dates can also be called lock dates." (Source: What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?) but then what is the benefit of hiding a description if students cannot see it ahead of time to prepare for it?

Teacher View:

326346_pastedImage_6.png

Student View:

326345_pastedImage_5.png

1 Solution
Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

cpadavano,

We have been with Canvas since 2012 and as far back as I can remember this has been true.  If you have availability dates sets, even the details of the assignment are hidden.  From and Until dates assume that you only want them to see the details starting on the From Date and until the Until date.

Robbie

View solution in original post