cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Availability Dates Hide Assignment Description?

Jump to solution

My institution users noticed that when a availability dates are set in the future to open and close for students, it doesn't just take away the "Submit" button, but also took away the assignment description the instructor provided. 

I recall this not being the case before, does anyone else recall this being the usual or should the assignmet descriptions be visible? The guide by Canvas states the following "If you want to create a date range for students to view and submit an assignment, you can set availability dates. Availability dates can also be called lock dates." (Source: What is the difference between assignment due dates and availability dates?) but then what is the benefit of hiding a description if students cannot see it ahead of time to prepare for it?

Teacher View:

326346_pastedImage_6.png

Student View:

326345_pastedImage_5.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

cpadavano,

We have been with Canvas since 2012 and as far back as I can remember this has been true.  If you have availability dates sets, even the details of the assignment are hidden.  From and Until dates assume that you only want them to see the details starting on the From Date and until the Until date.

Robbie

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

cpadavano,

We have been with Canvas since 2012 and as far back as I can remember this has been true.  If you have availability dates sets, even the details of the assignment are hidden.  From and Until dates assume that you only want them to see the details starting on the From Date and until the Until date.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Highlighted

rogrant@nmsu.edu‌ Ok, thank you so much for your insight. I will refer this back to my institution. May need to be an added feature suggestion then.

Highlighted
Explorer

HI cpadavano

We have faculty who find the current setup beneficial. They set up their courses for progressive learning and feel that later assignments have details that will give clues to the desired outcomes of earlier assignments. They want the assignments to show on the syllabus to help plan their time, but not give too much away on the details.

Highlighted

That said, we have to caution them to not put a descriptive title into the assignment because that shows on the syllabus and defeats the purpose...

Highlighted

Hi hallmans‌,

I see your point. I do not see it as a complete issue as I can see instructors needing to hide things from students who may cheat or take advantage of the viewing.

The only issue we run into as a university are students we encourage to plan ahead (more referring to online or older-aged students). If they cannot see a description ahead of the submission start date to start working early if desired, then it may deter them from asking for help early and working more efficiently. 

Thus, a feature option would probably be sufficient in this case. Just a toggle button for "Show assignment description before availability dates start" or something.

Thank you for your insight.