cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Award zero to one member of a group?

My students have been allocated to groups, and each group has submitted to a group assignment. The terms of the assignment required students to discuss their submitted work during a follow-up seminar. Attainment of the group mark was conditional on attending this follow-up seminar. I have completed marking on these group assignments but now need to ZERO students who were absent from the seminar. I have tried:

1. Amending individual marks in gradebook... but this affects the entire group
  2. Converting the assignment to "award marks individually"... but this removes existing feedback comments and will make it more difficult for examiners to find group-level feedback.
  3. Altering the group membership... but this comes with a confusing warning about data loss and an offer of cloning something (what, why?!)

So my question is, how can I award a mark of zero to individual members of a group assignment? Thank you.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

In the future, I encourage you to setup the assignment to award grades individually before you start grading, that way each group only has to turn in one submission but you can still award different points.

For right now, I would create an assignment called "Follow up Seminar" and make it worth 0 points. Then, for each student who should receive a zero on the group assignment, award them a negative number of points in the "Follow up Seminar" assignment. You don't have to put any value for the students who attended, as their score is accurately reflected by the original group assignment.

Example: Let's say that your group assignment is worth 50 points, and Timmy didn't go to the seminar. I would give Timmy a score of -50 in the "Follow up Seminar" assignment. Suzy went to the seminar, so I'd leave her score for the "Follow up Seminar" assignment blank.

Highlighted

Thanks jonesn16@nku.edu‌.  I can see how this would resolve the problem, but the idea of explaining to students why they got one mark which was then offset by a negative doesn't appeal to me!

For anybody else who comes to this: I settled on removing the students from their marked group, before the assignment was unmuted. I placed all the removals into a new group titled "Absent". As there are no submissions attached to this new group, it will not carry any mark in Gradebook. Remaining members of the original groups were not affected by this change: their mark and feedback remained unaffected.

Nicholas Jones wrote:

In the future, I encourage you to setup the assignment to award grades individually before you start grading, that way each group only has to turn in one submission but you can still award different points.

I understand why this would be useful but it would also make it harder for external examiner to identify a specific group (for sampling) when when its membership is disaggregated. However, that may indeed be the best option.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

John,

It's pretty easy. Grade all of the group submissions. Once you have graded all the group submissions, then go back to the assignment, edit the assignment and under THIS IS A GROUP ASSIGNMENT select "assign grades to student individually". Save. Then go back and assign the grade to the individual student.

Hope that helps.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels