cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quinnje
Community Member

BB Calculated Formulas to Canvas in the Least Painful Way

Jump to solution

We are migrating courses from BB to Canvas and we are almost at the end of that epic migration. But, I have hit a snag. An instructor has some really great quiz question banks in BB. There are 20-something banks with a few hundred questions total. About 250 of those are calculated formula questions. Whatever process BB uses to create those is not compatible with how Canvas creates those. When importing, a formula looks like this:

254582_pastedImage_1.png

Does anyone know a way to move calculated formula questions from BB to Canvas that doesn't involve manually recreating them? Thanks.

jerod

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
quinnje
Community Member

My apologies for the complete radio silence, Chris. I did find a functional answer to my question about importing formulas from Blackboard into Canvas. The answer was you can't. 

We hired on some extra help to work to ease the transition from BB to Canvas. One of those employees got the arduous job of recreating 253 complex equations using Canvas' formula engine. Afterwards the instructor sifted through all the quiz questions and corrected any formula errors. Inelegant and inefficient, but it got the job done.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @quinnje ...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered in the Canvas Community since the end of September 2017.  While I don't really have an answer for you myself (I have very little experience with BB), I wanted to check in with you to see if you have come up with any solutions on your own since you first posted this question back in September.  If you've got some solutions, would you be willing to share those here in this thread with the rest of the Community?  Or, if you're still looking for some help, please let us know that, too.

Also, I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/lms-migration group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, use the link that I have provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the page.  You may also need to click on the "Actions" >> "Join group" menu item which is also located in the top right corner of that page.

I hope this will be of help to you, Jerod!  Good luck!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello once again,  @quinnje ...

I've been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you because we've still not heard back from you since your initial posting on September 28, 2017.  Because it's been over half a year since you first posted this question, I am hopeful that you've been able to find a resolution on your own during your Blackboard migration to Canvas.  However, if you are still looking for some feedback and help with this question, please come back to this posting to provide us with an update letting members of the Community know how we might be able to assist you.  Since we've not heard back from you in quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Jerod.

quinnje
Community Member

My apologies for the complete radio silence, Chris. I did find a functional answer to my question about importing formulas from Blackboard into Canvas. The answer was you can't. 

We hired on some extra help to work to ease the transition from BB to Canvas. One of those employees got the arduous job of recreating 253 complex equations using Canvas' formula engine. Afterwards the instructor sifted through all the quiz questions and corrected any formula errors. Inelegant and inefficient, but it got the job done.

View solution in original post