cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cberisso
Community Member

Backing Up a Course

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: Is there a way to "back-up" a course to ensure any deletion by mistake can be recovered?

I just completed my first course in Canvas, and after all the effort and sweat, I am a bit paranoid about deleting/erasing inadvertently important course material either by myself or by other instructors who are less familiar with it. Is there a way of creating a back-up of the current course with the appropriate date so one can refer to it in case of emergency?

Thanks in advance for any guide/suggestions in this direction!

Maria Cristina

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattHanes
Lamplighter

You can export a course by following these instructions: How do I export a Canvas course?

Also, each page has a history that you can restore: How do I view the history of a page in my course?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MattHanes
Lamplighter

You can export a course by following these instructions: How do I export a Canvas course?

Also, each page has a history that you can restore: How do I view the history of a page in my course?

View solution in original post

James_Kocher_UF
Learner II

You can also create a "template" course that you can use as your backup.

cberisso
Community Member

Thank you! I did save my course as an .imcc export!  Thank you for the info about the pages history also. I was very concerned about the quiz questions I have created, since I have managed to lose a number of them by creating (or so I thought) questions via Question Banks instead of an actual quiz itself. Now my efforts have been saved... :smileygrin:

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cberisso ​...

Looks like you got some excellent help here today.  Would you mind if I shortened the title of this topic and tagged it with keywords?  These things will make your topic easier for people to search for if they have similar questions.  If this is ok with you, please let me know. If the shortened title doesn't quite reflect your question, we can always change it.  Thanks.

cberisso
Community Member

Hi Chris,

No problem at all. Please go ahead.

jrosin
Community Member

Does this include students grades and/or assignment submissions? (ie Are student submissions included when you export a Course to a file?)