cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Batch-generate New Similarity Scores

Hello!

I’ve noticed the similarity report flags in the Gradebook change colors after a period of time, as if they’ve auto-updated.

How can I perform this auto-update manually? I’d like to batch-generate new similarity scores for a whole assignment, not just for a student, so the scores take in all new submissions.

Thank you!

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, dmello2@ucmerced.edu, we apologize that your question hasn't yet received a response. It's not clear whether this is possible or not, but perhaps more details will help our members assist. Which originality checker are you using in the course?

Highlighted
Community Member

Our Canvas setup uses TurnItIn. It seems that timing is the issue: later assignments are checked with earlier assignments, but not vice versa.

What I need is for all submissions for an assignment to be checked with one another within that assignment (which currently doesn't happen. Only the later assignments may be flagged as being close to earlier assignments, which changes their 'flag color', but the 'flag color' for those earlier assignments does not change), as well as against the repository (which currently happens).

Here is the situation: I have an assignment where students may work with one another, and submit identical responses, but this is not a group project. Because students submit individual responses that can be identical to other students in the class (technically, this would be picked up by the plagiarism detector), what I need is for all submissions to be flagged for similarity. Right now, only later assignments are compared, and flagged, with earlier assignments.

Apologies if this is convoluted; I'm trying to make the situation as clear as possible.

TY!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for providing that comprehensive explanation, dmello2@ucmerced.edu‌. I've shared the question out to a few places and peole to get more visibility on it.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Hi Daniel Mello,

You are right. The time of submission is the main issue as assignments are submitted at different times. However, such plagiarism checking tools as Turnitin should have the feature to check bulk assignments.

In any case, you should get in touch with the Support Team of Turnitin to learn more about the functionality of their software.

You may also find more information on this question in another thread: Checking Plagiarism with Other Students in the Same Class

0 Kudos
Labels