cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Best method for students to share/post work

Jump to solution

My college has been closed due to terrible air quality in the Bay Area, so my students are not able to do the usual workshopping that happens during face-to-face class sessions. I want to set up a space on Canvas where the students can upload drafts of their work (in this case, drafts of presentation slides) so that the rest of the class can see them. Essentially, it's like an assignment that is ungraded and that all students can see all other students' work. (I hope that makes sense.) 

What is the best tool on Canvas to use for this type of workshop space? 

Many thanks!

Teeka 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

HI james@smccd.edu‌ - First, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. The rest of us in the US are well aware of the fires in California, of course, but with all the news of the loss of life and homes it's easy to forget how much else can be affected.

Fortunately, this is relative easy to solve, I believe. The solution is just a good, old-fashioned course DiscussionDiscussions is one area in Canvas where every student can see something AND comment on it rather easily. The main thing you will have to remember to do is to enable the ability for students to post file attachments, as covered here: How do I allow students to attach files to a course discussion? .  This setting is ordinarily disabled by default unless you already made the adjustment earlier.  (It is a course-wide setting.)  Students can upload their material and every single other student can see it.

I hope this helps, Teeka...and best wishes to you and everyone in California.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Community Member

HI james@smccd.edu‌ - First, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. The rest of us in the US are well aware of the fires in California, of course, but with all the news of the loss of life and homes it's easy to forget how much else can be affected.

Fortunately, this is relative easy to solve, I believe. The solution is just a good, old-fashioned course DiscussionDiscussions is one area in Canvas where every student can see something AND comment on it rather easily. The main thing you will have to remember to do is to enable the ability for students to post file attachments, as covered here: How do I allow students to attach files to a course discussion? .  This setting is ordinarily disabled by default unless you already made the adjustment earlier.  (It is a course-wide setting.)  Students can upload their material and every single other student can see it.

I hope this helps, Teeka...and best wishes to you and everyone in California.

View solution in original post

kblack@dom.edu‌, thanks for your quick answer and for your empathy! I'm sure you (and others) know all about the terrible devastation in Butte County. In the Bay Area, we are (sort of) back to normal. But students and teachers are scrambling and reshuffling everything to try to finish required course curriculum before the semester ends. The discussion worked well, by the way. Thanks!! ---Teeka

Thanks for letting me know. james@smccd.edu‌.  Pushing good wishes out your way!