Best size for images for use in quizzes, etc.

Jump to solution
conoromahony
Community Member

Hi,

In addition to the below...

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/What-types-of-media-files-can-I-upload-in-Canvas...

... is there any further guidance about what is the best practice around uploading image files for use in canvas quizzes - specifically around image size (width and height) and file size?

Many thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @conoromahony ...

I don't have a lot of specific suggestions for you because images can vary in file size and in physical size (what you see on the screen).  It will also depend on the file type you are using, too...such as *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, etc.  One thing I stay away from is uploading really large images that fill up the entire screen to Canvas.  I first use a graphics editing program such a Adobe Fireworks to scale the image down to something more manageable...but at the same time the end-user will still be able to see all the details of the image.  The problem with uploading a large image to Canvas and then trying to scale it down within the browser is that the file size doesn't change...just the physical size of the image.  So, even if you don't have software like Fireworks, you can still do simple graphics editing in the Windows Paint program (or whatever the equivalent would be on a Mac).  But, if you wanted to dabble in more graphics editing software, a common free/open-source solution is a program called Gimp.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe and be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes