cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer III

Blueprint and the Scheduler

Jump to solution

Hi, has anyone run into an issue where instructors to blueprinted courses receive notifications when a student in just one of the blueprinted courses (a course those instructors have no association to other than the blueprint apparatus) reserves time in the/their course through the calendar scheduler?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu - Whoa!  That should not be happening. I assume you verified that the other instructors are not (perhaps) TAs or some other role in these other classes.  lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu‌ deals with blueprint courses on much more massive scale than I do currently, so if anyone has heard of this occurring it would likely be her, but my main bit of advice would be to contact Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) about this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi JACOBSEN_C@fortlewis.edu - Whoa!  That should not be happening. I assume you verified that the other instructors are not (perhaps) TAs or some other role in these other classes.  lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu‌ deals with blueprint courses on much more massive scale than I do currently, so if anyone has heard of this occurring it would likely be her, but my main bit of advice would be to contact Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) about this.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer II

Hi Clint Jacobsen,

Yikes! I'll concur with Ken Black that this should not be happening.

As Ken noted, we use Blueprint extensive, and we also use Appointment Groups (New Scheduler) extensively as well -- in a variety of configurations with respect to Blueprint courses:

• Blueprint courses where appointment groups are made available to all sections of associated courses.
  • Blueprint courses where appointment groups are available to only one section, or to a subset, of associated courses.

Though you state that

where instructors to blueprinted courses receive notifications when a student in just one of the blueprinted courses (a course those instructors have no association to other than the blueprint apparatus) reserves time

the first things that I would check are:

1. How the appointment group(s) were set up. Who created them? Which Canvas site(s)/section(s) were associated with the appointment group?
  2. How is enrollment in the Blueprint template and sections handled? For instance, is there a course head who is enrolled as a teacher in template, and does that person have any enrollment in the associated section?

Though your original question suggests that this isn't the case, the only way I can understand this happening is if the appointment group includes the calendars of multiple associated sites. And the only way that should be able to happen is if the person who created the appointments was enrolled in all those sites to create them.

Still, though, it seems strange that a teacher would receive a notification about an appointment that isn't for a student who is enrolled in their course. So I would consider opening a case with Instructure support to have them investigate it further.

Good luck!

Best,

Linda

Highlighted

So far the messages/notifications have stopped.

1. A single instructor used the scheduler in a single course
  2. nobody but a teacher is enrolled in the blueprint template (an instructor not affected by the issue

Since the notifications have stopped... entropy seems to the cause... its nebulous. 

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels