Brand new to Canvas. My teachers cannot create courses.

Jump to solution
GroganJ
Community Member

Hello all!  We are brand new to Canvas, only days old, and the teachers I've imported into Canvas do not have the button to create courses.  When I looked, it seems that permissions to create courses is found in the "Account Roles" area of Permissions.  I don't believe I should be adding all of my teachers to an account role, but I could be wrong.  In the "Course Roles", the "Teacher" profile can create/edit/delete section and files within courses, but there's no option there to allow them to create courses.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@GroganJ 

Hi, and welcome to Canvas and the Canvas Community! You're right, it is simple—but not all that easy to find. Navigate to the Settings area for the account and scroll all the way down to the section that reads, "Who Can Create New Courses." Enable the checkbox next to "Teachers," remember to click the Update Settings button, and you should be all set.

This is depicted all the way at the bottom of How do I set details for an account?

Good luck!

View solution in original post