Broken Links

Jump to solution
bangieb23
Community Novice

I am the librarian at my school and am trying to assist a teacher who is desperate to have her Canvas issues resolved. She created her courses and now several of the assignments are not accessible to students--saying that they do not have permission.  There are 28 broken links and when I view the course link validator, this is an example of what it is saying (below) "Links to other courses in this resource may not be accessible by the students in this course."  How do I proceed with this problem?  Thanks!

Found 28 broken links

Course Syllabus

SYLLABUS
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bangieb23  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  When you get error messages like this in your course, it means that there's probably a link on the page that is pointing to another course...which is not advised.  Even though the instructor might have access to both courses, he/she may not notice that the link is pointing to another course because he/she is enrolled in both courses as a Teacher.  However, from a student perspective, if that link is clicked on, then the student will get an error message saying the file isn't found...because it's not in the course.  So, there are a couple things you'll want to do:

1. Navigate to the page where the MP4 is located.  You may need to look at the HTML side (How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?) of the page to see exactly where the link is pointing to.  Does the Course ID number (Example https://SchoolName.instruture.com/courses/12345/...) in the URL for that MP4 file match the URL in the browser's address bar for the course?  If they are different, then you know that it might be pointing to a different course.
  2. Is the MP4 file listed in the course "Files" area of the course anywhere?  If not, then you might need to upload it to "Files" and then link to it.  However, a better option for you would be to follow the instructions in this Guide: How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?.

I hope this helps a bit, Angela.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post