cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pal_Haegland
Community Member

«Bug» in messages between tablet and desktop?

Hi, guys!

our students mostly use the Canvas-app on their iPads instead of their computers. This is of course great, but we've discovered what seems to be a «bug» in the messaging system. When students message someone using the app, and this person tries to reply through their desktop-version of Canvas, the message appears without a recipient. You can send it, but it seems to vanish into the vast digital nothing. No errors or nothing, it just «magically» vanishes.

Funny enough, if you reply using Outlook, it reaches its target.

Another weird attribute of these messages is that despite the student finding the person through a specific course, when replying through your desktop version, you get either «No course» or some other random manually generated course.

Anyone else who has experience with this «phenomenon»?

With kind regards
Pål Hægland
Canvas Administrator
Lovisenberg Deaconal College

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I haven't heard or experienced this and I'd definitely report it to Canvas Support!

Help --> Report a problem

If they aren't already aware, then they need to be!

Hi, Kona!

thanks for your reply. Naturally it's been reported, just wanted to check if anyone else has had the same experience. If not I'm guessing it's fairly useful for people to know about, as more and more students are migrating to tablets.

@Pal_Haegland ​. have you received a response from Canvas Support, and if so, would you take a moment to share the results of their investigation with the Community?

Hi, Stefanie!

The last response we received was in early May, where they said they were looking into it. But since then it's been complete silence. It appears to be a «broken connection» between the iOS app and the desktop version. We still have to do a lot of workarounds in order to make it work, but needless to say our teachers are not very happy, as the majority of our students use their tablets and phones to communicate through Canvas.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Hægland​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie