CANVAS Integration Questions (Certification and API)

Jump to solution
misanthropowits
Community Novice

Hi!

I´m partially responsible for our learning environment as of now and I have a few questions about canvas in general that I hope to get answered since it´s rather confusing to me right now.

1) Our IT Department is in charge of the admin role, but we need to hand out certifications to the users if they complete a course. Is that possible without admin rights? (My role only allows me to make new courses, but there´s no option in the dashboard/ "admin" board that allows me to integrate certifications

Is that due to the fact that we use canvas LSM and certifications are integrated into catalog or do I need to contact our IT Department in order to get that going?

2) We use Trivantis Lectora 18 to produce Micro Content for Canvas LMS. Said Micro Content is implemented into our canvas courses afterwards. Is there a way to get variables like student_name from canvas and show it in our Micro Content generated by Lectora?

I´ve read that in order to for example get student name you need to implement JS into the general canvas environment. that´s not possible at all. I´m also aware that external content is rather sandboxy and not able to communicate between each other, but isn´t something like that possible via xAPI?

Some of these questions may sound rather stupid to you folks, but I´m currently trying to get an overview over what we´re able to do. Go easy on me please Smiley Happy

Best,

Dominik

1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi Dominik,

1) There is no built in "certificate" functionality in Canvas the way there is in Catalog.   There are a few external tools that can do this, such as "Accredible" (Edu App Center ) but I don't have any personal experience with any of them.

2) You would probably want to talk to Trivantis about the possibility of incorporating Canvas variables in the content.  Blackboard has "template variables" which can be rendered on the fly within the content (see https://community.blackboard.com/docs/DOC-1148 ) but as far as I know, Canvas doesn't have any equivalent capabilities.

Mike

View solution in original post