Calendar Link

Jump to solution
nicopenhaver
Community Member

Is it possible to embed a link in my homepage to the student calendar?

I realize that the calendar is available through the global navigation screen, but I am trying to ease access for parents.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Nicopenhaver

It is quite easy to add a link to the Calendar page on your home page, but it would not simplify user navigation in any way. The problem is the return trip - after viewing the Calendar, students would still have to go to Courses, then choose the appropriate course to return. There might be some advantage if students were to click an assignment in the calendar, because then they would be taken back into the classroom for that assignment. However, if they haven't properly filtered their Calendar page, they could just as easily follow an assignment from another course, and get totally lost.

Most of the Canvas teachers I know, wish they could lock student out of the Calendar, because too many students will use it to jump straight to assignments and quizzes, bypassing any learning materials you have included in your Canvas course.

Here is how to add the link.....

• Navigate to the calendar,
  • Select and copy the URL in your in your browser's address bar,
  • Navigate to your Canvas course,
  • Click Edit for the Home page,
  • Where desired, type "Calendar Link" or other specific text to identify where the link will take them
  • Select the text you typed,
  • click the Insert/Edit link icon in the content editor bar,
  • Paste the URL you copied from the Calendar  page,
  • Click Insert Link,
  • Then save the changes to your home page.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes