cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdavick
Community Member

Calendar Question

Jump to solution

We currently use a shared Google calendar for all faculty members. This calendar is used to keep track of tests and large projects so that we don't overload our students with too many at any one time. As teachers plan for tests they add those test to the calendar and can see how many other tests are planned for the same day or week etc...

We will be adapting Canvas school-wide next year. Is there a way for us to use the calendar in Canvas the same way? Do I have to be enrolled in a course in order to see the calendar for that course? I assume this is the case. 

Obviously enrolling every faculty member in every course would not be a good solution.

I know that there is a way to export the Canvas calendar to Google Calendar. Is this what we would need to do? Is there a way that as a teacher I could export the calendar for my specific course to that shared faculty calendar so that other faculty members can see it?

I'm trying to think ahead and make things as efficient as possible for our teachers. I'm really excited about the Canvas Calendar and all of its benefits. If I could keep our teachers from needing to manually add their tests and projects to the shared Google Calendar I know they would appreciate one less task needing to be taken care of.

Thanks!

Sara

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sdavick . I gave this some thought and played around with calendars a bit and here are a few thoughts.  You mentioned that currently faculty members have access to a shared Google calendar that they update with tests and large projects.  It is great that you all are thinking about how to space this work out for students! You may be able to use the calendar feature in Canvas similarly if all of your faculty are members of a common "course" with a teacher role.  We have a course that all faculty belong to for communication purposes, so those who have a teacher role in this course could add events or assignments to the calendar.  In this case I would probably add the tests or projects as events as opposed to assignments to avoid the creation of an actual assignment.

I checked my Google calendar, and following the directions here, How do I subscribe to the Calendar feed using Google Calendar as an instructor?, was able to add various calendars to a Google calendar.  Regarding your question about whether a single course could be exported to a Google Calendar, the document mentions "The calendar feed will contain events and assignments from all of your Canvas calendars.", so it wouldn't be just particular courses or only tests and large projects but all events and all assignments from all of the individual's courses.  I'm not sure this is what you would want as it seems as though that calendar would get busy and confusing quickly.

Others may have some additional ideas, but I'm not sure either of these are a better solution than continuing using the shared Google Calendar as you have been.  The Canvas calendar option may work but there would still be manual inputting.  There is an idea on Radar that would help with this though, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2301-create-a-single-course-calendar-entry-across-multiple-cla....  If this were implemented and extended to assignments, then someone who had access to a shared faculty course and their own individual courses could theoretically create an assignment or event once and have it added to both their actual calendar as well as the one for tracking all tests and large projects.  It may be worth voting this idea up even though it is on Radar. 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sdavick . I gave this some thought and played around with calendars a bit and here are a few thoughts.  You mentioned that currently faculty members have access to a shared Google calendar that they update with tests and large projects.  It is great that you all are thinking about how to space this work out for students! You may be able to use the calendar feature in Canvas similarly if all of your faculty are members of a common "course" with a teacher role.  We have a course that all faculty belong to for communication purposes, so those who have a teacher role in this course could add events or assignments to the calendar.  In this case I would probably add the tests or projects as events as opposed to assignments to avoid the creation of an actual assignment.

I checked my Google calendar, and following the directions here, How do I subscribe to the Calendar feed using Google Calendar as an instructor?, was able to add various calendars to a Google calendar.  Regarding your question about whether a single course could be exported to a Google Calendar, the document mentions "The calendar feed will contain events and assignments from all of your Canvas calendars.", so it wouldn't be just particular courses or only tests and large projects but all events and all assignments from all of the individual's courses.  I'm not sure this is what you would want as it seems as though that calendar would get busy and confusing quickly.

Others may have some additional ideas, but I'm not sure either of these are a better solution than continuing using the shared Google Calendar as you have been.  The Canvas calendar option may work but there would still be manual inputting.  There is an idea on Radar that would help with this though, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2301-create-a-single-course-calendar-entry-across-multiple-cla....  If this were implemented and extended to assignments, then someone who had access to a shared faculty course and their own individual courses could theoretically create an assignment or event once and have it added to both their actual calendar as well as the one for tracking all tests and large projects.  It may be worth voting this idea up even though it is on Radar. 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Eric, 

Thank you for taking the time to help me think through this. I will look at your suggestions and see what seems like it will work best for us.

Anytime  @sdavick .  Please let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Eric