cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can CANVAS be made inclusive of substitute teachers?

Jump to solution

As a substitute teacher, I feel shut out of whatever activity the students are working on in Canvas, if that is their only assignment. Short of walking behind their backs and peering over their individual Chromebook screens, I have no way of engaging the classroom about the material at hand, which I have otherwise no access to. Furthermore, if a student is having technical difficulties, I would be very unprepared to steer them in the right direction without having similar access to their assignment.

Would appreciate any insights anyone may have on this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi j.e.riley@comcast.net Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Are you telling us that as a substitute teacher for courses that use Canvas, you do not have teacher  access to your students' Canvas courses? Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, this is not something that neither this Community's members nor Canvas can fix. The school(s) you work for need to enroll you in those courses as a teacher so that you can do your job. Otherwise, I would suggest you simply skip that day's lesson plan and not use Canvas at all.

Unbelievable!

Kelley

PS: for the record, Canvas is not an acronym.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi j.e.riley@comcast.net Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Are you telling us that as a substitute teacher for courses that use Canvas, you do not have teacher  access to your students' Canvas courses? Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, this is not something that neither this Community's members nor Canvas can fix. The school(s) you work for need to enroll you in those courses as a teacher so that you can do your job. Otherwise, I would suggest you simply skip that day's lesson plan and not use Canvas at all.

Unbelievable!

Kelley

PS: for the record, Canvas is not an acronym.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu, I cannot concur with part of your advice "I would suggest you simply skip that day's lesson plan and not use Canvas at all."

I find it totally believable that a school would not add a substitute teacher to a Canvas course. Reasonable is a different situation, but totally believable. What I remember about substitute teachers is that they were often called in at the last moment with little time to prepare. A Canvas Admin would probably not be bothered with a list of who was substituting that day and even if they were, that's a lot of work to put on them each morning. So I find it totally believable.

Way back when I was in school, the substitutes often had no experience in the subject of the course, were little more than babysitters, and it was a lost day as far as content went. I want to think it has improved, and j.e.riley@comcast.net's concern indicates that he wants to do the right thing.

You are correct that this is something that this is something that needs addressed with the local school district. If there were a group of regular substitutes, the school may want to add them to the course using a TA role or with a customized role. They would possibly need added to several courses -- again a big hassle for the admin. I would remove the ability to edit and view grade data. This lesson in the Canvas Admin Guide provides additional information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12636-421473660 

An instructor might take exception to letting others have access to their courses, especially if they don't miss many days. Looking over their shoulders at the student Chromebooks may be as good as it gets.

Highlighted

Hi james@richland.edu 

As busy as you have been in here today, I suspect you and the family are home from your trip - Welcome back!

Yes, "believable" but not reasonable. This situation, which is probably played out in most K12s across the country, simply reinforces the unproductive "babysitter" reality. The eLearning support challenges are likely worse in many districts where the online administration/support is likely centralized at the district level, and in many larger districts this could mean hundreds of subs to be accommodated - and accommodated before the start of the school day.

However, right off the bat I can think of some possible work-rounds. None of them without limitations and concerns though.

But.................................... that does not mean that the status quo is acceptable.

Kelley

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels