cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdelillo
Community Member

Can I add people to a concluded course without re-opening the course?

Jump to solution

I need to give outside reviewers access to concluded courses (soft concluded - by date). I figured I could use the instructions in What do I do if a student has an incomplete grade in an account?​ and the Instructions for Instructors with Student Grades of Incomplete​ to just add a new section, then put the reviewers in that section. But the snag is that I'm not moving a pre-existing student to a section, I'm adding a brand new person. And the "+ People" button is greyed out, because the course ended in May. Is there a workaround, or am I stuck having to open the course, add the people to the new section, and then changing the overall course dates back? I also consider a SIS import, but building a csv to do this seems like more work than it's worth.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tdelillo ​, the only way I've gotten this to work is to reopen the course, add the students, then close it back up. I'd be interested to learn if there's a better/easier way to do this.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tdelillo ​, the only way I've gotten this to work is to reopen the course, add the students, then close it back up. I'd be interested to learn if there's a better/easier way to do this.

View solution in original post

tdelillo
Community Member

Thank you - at least that confirms that I'm not missing something obvious!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Either that or we both really missed it! Smiley Wink

aretik
Community Member

Hi,

And how do you re-open the course?   Sorry, I cannot find how to do that...

Thanks

@aretik , to re-open the course, you would need to change the course end date in course settings, as detailed in How do I change the start and end dates for a course?

aretik
Community Member

Thanks, Stephanie.

I tried changing the dates already – this didn’t work – the +People is not being enabled.

-AR

Here's my workflow for opening SIS-created courses:

Note term

Change Term to Default

Uncheck "Participate between" checkbox under the course dates

Uncheck "Participate between" checkbox in the section dates

Add user in People Tab

Masquerade as user, accept invite (if you fail to do this, and close the course, they won't be able to accept the invite and see the course)

Change Term back to original term

This assumes you have full (or nearly full) admin rights.  if you're not the admin, then you'll need to ask your school's Canvas admin to do the above for you.

aretik
Community Member

Thanks, Anthony.     Understood.

Since I cannot change the term -  I know now that I need the admin rights to do that.

Best. 

mcarneal
Community Member

I just had to do this to add a professor that is teaching this in the following semester.  I played with the dates, and that had worked in the past, but not this time. So what I did was to create a "shell course" and import the content into that course. Then added the other instructor in the teacher role.  Now that professor can import the course into the one for the following semester.  This process works if you don't need the student roster.