cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tug30201
Community Member

Can I award a fixed score for Quiz completion?

I would like to assign a quiz to students to take that is for class preparation, but I would like the score to be based on completion. As far as I can tell:

• Graded Quizzes report the score earned on the quiz
  • Graded Surveys award fixed points for completion, but do not show the student right and wrong answers

Is there any way I can accomplish this? For example, if the quiz has 10 quiz points, but the student earns 7, I still want to give them a fixed number of points toward their final grade. With Assignments this could be accomplished by specifying that the grade was Complete/Incomplete.

Tags (2)
8 Replies
bcc11d
Community Member

They (graded surveys) can show the right answers, but under the quiz settings, you have to check the box "let students see their quiz responses...." and then check the box that says "let students see the correct answers." That should fix your issue. 

tug30201
Community Member

This does not appear to be correct, as a survey does not seem to allow you to designate correct answers. Which is of course consistent with the common understanding of what a survey is. You can check the box on the Quiz Details tab to "Let Students See The Correct Answers", but you can't actually designate a Correct answer when you create the questions.

bcc11d
Community Member

I see what you're saying. To get around that, there is a little box with three dots at the bottom of each question. If you click it, it will allow you to submit a comment. After the student submits their quiz/survey, they can see their results and this is where they see your comment. Will this work for what you want?

264166_Capture6.PNG

bcc11d
Community Member

Oh and also, you can use a graded quiz, but youd have to change the questions point values to zero and mark it in the gradebook that you don't want to included it toward their final grades. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tug30201 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

kbarth
Surveyor

I have several faculty with this same issue. They want to assign a quiz, say for Citations, and give it a Complete/Incomplete score. Is this something that the new quiz tool can handle?

Yes,  @kbarth ‌, since New Quizzes are built on the Assignment content type, Complete/Incomplete is one of the Display Grade as grading options in the settings for the assignment.

tracie_kleman
Surveyor

Does a teacher have to submit the answers for each student with this type of assessment or will they automatically get the points in speedgrader when a student submits the quiz?