Can I change "Drop lowest x scores" later in semester?

Jump to solution
walchakj
Community Explorer

I believe that Canvas can be told to automatically drop the X lowest scores for an assignment category; my question is, Can I change the value of X later in the semester if desired?

I'm planning to offer my students 30 Discussion questions during my summer term but only counting the highest 28 scores; however, I'd like the option to offer a few more questions to give them some more opportunities to earn Discussion points if needed/desired.  If I decide to do that, say, midway through the semester, is there any problem with changing the assignment category instructions so that Canvas drops, say, the lowest 4 scores instead of the lowest 2?  Or am I stuck with whatever number I tell it when I first set it up?

Thanks for any help,

--JW

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@walchakj  

The value of X can be modified at any time. 

Some people rely on this behavior because they don't want to drop the grades until the end (giving the students a boost at the end). Other people (like me) set them early on so students have a more realistic picture of what their grade really is.

The one thing you want to watch out for is not harming the student based on what's in the syllabus. If you say you will drop 3 and later drop 4, students will love you. If you say you'll drop 3 and change it to 2, students will complain.

View solution in original post

0 Likes