cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Can I copy Calendar postings from a prior semester or year?

Jump to solution

I ask, because some postings would repeat in my course calendars, year to year, because they represent core lecture topics and linked examples I put in the postings for certain dates.

So, for example, if I repeat every semester the same 2 week sequence on researching strategies, evaluating sources, etc., and have the same URLs posted in that 2 week period, it would save a lot of time to at least go back to the prior semester's or prior year's calendar and copy and paste those valuable 2 weeks of links into the current semester Canvas Calendar.  One class is only taught every other year, so rather than re-creating the prior calendar, it would save time by importing that 2 week period or 16 week schedule, similar to how we can select to import only certain Files or Assignments.  

Any help would be very appreciated.

Nathan Cole. Salt Lake Community College.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ncole@bruinmail.slcc.edu‌ ~ If you access your Course Settings from your current course and then click the Import Course Content button the right-hand side, you can import any content from another Canvas course. (See How do I copy content from another Canvas course?‌ for more details.) When you find the course from which you want to take the Events, make sure you click Select Specific Content. You can also adjust your due dates by shifting from the old dates to the current ones. Once your preferences are set, add a check-mark in the box next to Events to import your course's calendar events. You can decide to import all events or single events by clicking on the triangle to the left of the header to see all selectable objects. I hope this helps and saves you some time!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ncole@bruinmail.slcc.edu‌ ~ If you access your Course Settings from your current course and then click the Import Course Content button the right-hand side, you can import any content from another Canvas course. (See How do I copy content from another Canvas course?‌ for more details.) When you find the course from which you want to take the Events, make sure you click Select Specific Content. You can also adjust your due dates by shifting from the old dates to the current ones. Once your preferences are set, add a check-mark in the box next to Events to import your course's calendar events. You can decide to import all events or single events by clicking on the triangle to the left of the header to see all selectable objects. I hope this helps and saves you some time!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This is one of the most popular features in Canvas for our instructors. Changing the dates is not an exact science and often there is a bit of weirdness with the alignment. However, the drag and drop on the calendar makes it a snap to move to the correct date. Its awesome to not have to redo the links for readings etc.My advice is to not back out if the dates are slightly off, but just power through with the drag an drop- its actually much faster.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ncole@bruinmail.slcc.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

Yup. Got it answered over the summer.

Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, rogrant@nmsu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>