Can I create a course as a student?

Jump to solution
as187222
Community Member

I’m starting a club and would like to create a Canvas course for it. Can I do this with my student account?

0 Likes
1 Solution
sjthomas
Community Explorer

This is a loaded question. Let me go through some scenarios.

The administrators (typically IT professionals) at your organization should be able to officially answer this.

• There is a setting that can be turned on at the main account level for each Canvas instance, as shown in the accompanying screenshot. At our institution, and shown in the screenshot, we allow teachers to create courses. Students could be toggled on, and then students would be able to create courses.
    • Typically, most institutions would not enable this setting, due to COPPA and CIPA guidelines for online interactions, especially interactions not governed by a moderator.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 3.41.25 PM.png

• In most K-12, and even in collegiate, environments most clubs are sanctioned or sponsored by some sort of teacher or other official with the organization. This is so that individual can assist with guidelines and policy requirements to ensure a safe learning environment.
    • In our institution, that individual would undoubtedly have teacher or higher access in Canvas, and would be able to create and moderate a club course. Other institutions, this individual may be the one responsible for requesting the course creation and access control from administrators of Canvas.

If the setting is on at your institution, these directions should match for you (even though you're not a teacher role).

If a sponsor is able to create, or have created, the course then they should be able to invite you and anyone else to the course through the People area inside the new course. Again, assuming that the sponsor has that permission in Canvas.

Overall, it would benefit you to reach out to an instructor or administrator to go down the path of finding the right individuals at your school to verify these permissions and fully answer this question.

View solution in original post