cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Can I create a quiz that students can do in part, then save, then come back and finish later? Or do they have to do all quizzes in one sitting?

Jump to solution

Can I create a quiz that students can do in part, then save, then come back and finish later? Or do they have to do all quizzes in one sitting?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Peter,

Great question! I had not done this before but had a tinker to see what is possible and I do think it is with a caveat on usability.

I created a quiz with a single attempt and three questions (as a trial). Each time as the student account I answered a question, Canvas auto-saved the quiz response. If I navigate away (and click yes to the prompt that I am navigating away from the quiz), it gives me the ability (as a student) to resume the quiz.

A couple of things, this may not be the best user experience for you or the students. For you, you won't get a submitted result until the students actually press the submit button, additionally, if the students press submit early (rather than just navigating away) they may submit prematurely, and have only completed half the quiz.

It does (however) seem doable. Another thought that came to mind would be to do a several quizzes that are broken up into a logical set. That would mean the students complete the separate quizzes bit by bit and you get to see progress as they go, however, I can see that this would make the grade book a little complex (musing out loud).

Hope that helps! Please let us know how you go with it!

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Peter,

Great question! I had not done this before but had a tinker to see what is possible and I do think it is with a caveat on usability.

I created a quiz with a single attempt and three questions (as a trial). Each time as the student account I answered a question, Canvas auto-saved the quiz response. If I navigate away (and click yes to the prompt that I am navigating away from the quiz), it gives me the ability (as a student) to resume the quiz.

A couple of things, this may not be the best user experience for you or the students. For you, you won't get a submitted result until the students actually press the submit button, additionally, if the students press submit early (rather than just navigating away) they may submit prematurely, and have only completed half the quiz.

It does (however) seem doable. Another thought that came to mind would be to do a several quizzes that are broken up into a logical set. That would mean the students complete the separate quizzes bit by bit and you get to see progress as they go, however, I can see that this would make the grade book a little complex (musing out loud).

Hope that helps! Please let us know how you go with it!

Stuart

View solution in original post

Surveyor II

Thanks, Stuart. I actually put up an 80 question quiz and let the students do it over the course of the semester. It worked great! As long as they don't "Submit" until they're completely finished with the quiz, all is good. After answering say 10 questions, students just close their browser or go to another page. The next time they come back and enter the quiz, they're able to pick up where they left off! I explained this clearly and didn't have one problem in the class. Thank God for auto-grading!

; )

Peter