Can I delete files in my files and images once they are loaded into an assignment or quiz or page?

Jump to solution
maingreg
Community Member

I ran out of space in my canvas and need to create more. If I delete all of my files will that effect any of the materials I have created with them?

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@maingreg  

Yes. If you delete them from the course files then they won't be available to students. 

Make sure that you're uploading files to the course files and not your personal files. Students wouldn't have access to them if they're in your personal files. Personal file storage is often smaller than course storage as well -- at our institution, we get 50 MB for personal users, but 500 MB for course files (this is under Course > Settings).

You can check that it really is your course files that need expanded by going to the Course Settings page and then choosing Course Statistics from the sidebar. This lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide provides more information about this: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12967-4152724567 

If it really is the course that is running out of storage space, then your Canvas Admin may be willing to raise that 500 MB under legitimate reasons. The 50 MB for personal storage often runs into trouble when someone makes video or audio comments. Those are separate from your course files, though.

There may be times when the Canvas Admin wouldn't want to increase that 500 MB. For example, if you're uploading videos directly to Canvas, you may not want to do this. Your institution may have some external video hosting service (we use Canvas Studio, but before that many of us posted our videos on YouTube and made them unlisted). You can also use sites like Google Drive or OneDrive / Sharepoint to store files and let your students access them.

View solution in original post