cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Can I force submit a missing quiz for a student

Jump to solution

I have a student that didn't take my quiz.    I'd like to force a submission for them so I can grade it and have it count as being submitted.    if I just put a zero in the gradebook it doesn't count as submitted.    As an unsubmitted quiz, the student doesn't have access to the correct answers of the quiz.    I want to mark the quiz as submitted to allow the student to learn from it and progress, while still giving them the zero they earned for the missed quiz.   Any thoughts on how to mark the quiz?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

glparker@usf.edu,

Currently, a teacher cannot submit an assignment for a student, but it is in the plan Canvas has laid out for Assignments 2.0

The "no work on your part" solution is to suggest that they look at the results of another student who took the quiz, possibly getting together in a study party. If there were different versions of the quiz, this would give them multiple questions to look at rather than just the one they would have been delivered.

The easiest solution within Canvas is to use differentiated assignments to re-open the quiz for the student. Let them submit something, and then go in afterwards and give them a 0.

Another option is to do a quiz preview as the instructor and complete it. Then print it to a PDF file and make that file available to students for review. Printing isn't really supported by Canvas, but it may still be usable.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Good morning, glparker@usf.edu .  If the quiz is closed, then I'd put the 0 in the gradebook with a message that the student missed the quiz.  I truly don't think it's worth the time to "worry" about whether it's listed as "submitted" or not.  Maybe I'm missing something.  If I am, please let me know.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If I just give the student a 0 in the gradebook, or via SpeedGrader, then Canvas doesn't think the student attempted the quiz, and will not let them view the quiz question/answers that the other students who actually took the quiz can.   You can see this via Moderate Quiz, the student that I give the 0 to still shows 1 attempt remaining.    

I need to get rid of that remaining attempt, so that the student can view the quiz question/answers.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted

AH!  Now I understand.  Have you tried putting the 0 in?  Here's a link to an earlier question where someone put it in, the student actually took the test late, but the grade did not change.

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/128062-why-doesnt-canvas-upgrade-late-submitted-quizzes

0 Kudos
Highlighted

In my case, yes, I put in the 0, but it didn't register as an attempt.   

The quiz is closed, the Until date is set and in the past, so the student cannot take the quiz and 'clear the attempt' themselves.  That is one option, it would just require the teacher to monitor for the student to take the quiz and them override it with a 0.   

It's a weird situation, but it feel like it should have an easier answer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Agreed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

glparker@usf.edu,

Currently, a teacher cannot submit an assignment for a student, but it is in the plan Canvas has laid out for Assignments 2.0

The "no work on your part" solution is to suggest that they look at the results of another student who took the quiz, possibly getting together in a study party. If there were different versions of the quiz, this would give them multiple questions to look at rather than just the one they would have been delivered.

The easiest solution within Canvas is to use differentiated assignments to re-open the quiz for the student. Let them submit something, and then go in afterwards and give them a 0.

Another option is to do a quiz preview as the instructor and complete it. Then print it to a PDF file and make that file available to students for review. Printing isn't really supported by Canvas, but it may still be usable.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yet again.  Any time I search for a question, I find Canvas says "That is a great idea and we are working on it."  This one is only a year-and-a-half old.  Some are five to ten years old.  Please, hire somebody who can program, and fix something...anything.

0 Kudos
Labels