Can I keep the course ID from appearing in a course?

Jump to solution
debbie_ellis
Community Participant

I’m looking for a setting that allows me to hide the course ID from users. Our faculty and students only need to know the course name, semester, and section. Seeing the course ID is causing confusion for some of our users.

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@debbie_ellis  

If you are talking about the course ID in the breadcrumb, then it's easy to fix. Users who are confused by this can change it by setting a nickname for the course on their dashboard. This lesson in the Canvas Student Guide explains how: How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View Dashboard as a student? 

Faculty cannot set nicknames for students (anyone other than themselves). However, if the students have no nickname set the instructor may be able to go into the course settings and change the course code. This is the short name that appears in the breadcrumb.

332007_pastedImage_3.png

We have that locked down at our institution, but your institution may not. It is your institution that is choosing to set the course code and if you have suggestions about ways to improve it, then you may wish to talk to your institution about what they're choosing. They have a SIS course ID and a course ID (also called short name) to choose from. The SIS course ID can be computer friendly while the course ID can be human friendly. This lets them keep their confusing ID (use it as the SIS ID) and give a friendly name.

I would make the course code short as it appears in the breadcrumb. Ours is just the number of the course and doesn't contain the term or teacher. The full name and term appear in the title (called Name in the image).

Still the easiest way is to tell the students about the course nicknames.

View solution in original post