cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asnell
Community Member

Can I limit the number of a certain type of question on exam?

I use randomized questions from the testbanks to create my quizzes/exams.  Is there a way to limit the number of short answer questions each student receives on a particular exam?  For instance, right now Student A may have three short answer questions; Student B will have none and Student C will have 10!  Obviously, it will take Student C much longer to take the exam due to having to type in question answers.

Thanks for your help!!  Ann

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@asnell , The only way to limit this is to separate your test bank so the short answer questions are in a separate bank -How do I move/copy a question from one question bank to another?

Once you do that you can then create different question groups in your quiz - one for the regular questions and one for the short answer questions - and specify the number of questions of each type that students should get. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

PS - our faculty actually have us add their publisher question banks into Canvas like this - with the different questions types separated. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

I am so lucky! My publisher QBs already came organized like that, and for each chapter. I almost thought I had died and gone to heaven!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @asnell ‌...

I thought that I would check in with you because we haven't heard from you since you first posted this question to the Canvas Community on March 14th.  Have you had a chance to review the above responses from  @kona ‌?  Did either of those responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking some assistance with your original question?  If Kona's responses did help to answer your question, please go ahead and mark one of them as "Correct".  However, if you're still looking for some help, please post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to help you with your question.  For now, because we haven't heard from you for quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  But, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to your question.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Ann!