Can I make assignments for Test Student and upload responses?

Jump to solution
nreesor
Community Member

I will be using Canvas for the first time this spring. My roster is full, but since the semester hasn’t started yet, no students have submitted essays! Yet I would really like to try Speed Grader and see how it works so that I can decide whether to have students submit paper copies, which has been my custom, or electronic copies. I write lots of comments on essays, so I need to decide whether Speed Grader gives me the flexibility I need in this regard.

So, does anyone know if I can make an artificial assignment, assign it only to Test Student, upload a sample essay for Test Student, and “grade” this essay using Speed Grader?

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@nreesor  

You can upload a file as a test student using the student view and then use SpeedGrader to grade it.

I personally wouldn't do that in a live course though with a fake assignment. If you want to do playing around with things, you can use a sandbox course. If you don't have access to a sandbox course or cannot create a course, then you should have a Test and/or Beta instance of Canvas that you can play with. Changes there aren't permanent and so I would create the assignment there and not worried about differentiated assignments. The beta instance is reset every week.

Here are a couple of lessons from the Canvas Instructor Guide about the beta and test instance.

View solution in original post