Can I recover partially composed Canvas messages that I lost?

Jump to solution
JoveR
Community Member

While I was crafting a long message to my instructor, I accidentally hit the escape key. Whoosh—Just like that, the last 30 minutes of my day just vanishes. When this happens, is my writing gone with the wind, or is there some kind of drafts box I don't know about?

This has happened to me a few times. If these lost messages are recoverable, I really want to know about it for future reference, because I'm going to bump my escape key a LOT.

To recreate: Go to your Canvas Inbox → "Compose a new message" → [Write up a message] → Hit your escape key.

One fix I'd like to recognize: Be more concise with messages 😅

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @JoveR ...

Oh man!  I just tested your steps, and you are right.  Unfortunately, I think you lost your entire message.  I experienced the same thing when I tested out your steps.  ☹️

It might be a good idea for you to create a new Feature Idea here in the Community.  For example, it might be nice to have some kind of warning message pop up if someone bumps the ESC key, and then you get some kind of prompt asking "Are you sure you want to stop composing this message?" (or whatever wording you think is best).  To start a new idea, click on the PRODUCT menu at the top of any screen here in the Community, and then click on IDEA CONVERSATIONS.  Then, click on the "Suggest an idea" button.  Here are a few Guides to get you started:

I hope this information will be of help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post