Can I set my course to change to a different homepage automatically?

Jump to solution
sally_potter
Community Member

Is there a way to have your homepage change automatically? I'd like to have a "go to the current module" button on the homepage that changes every Friday at noon automatically. So I would set up one homepage to have the button link to the overview for Module 1, the second homepage would be identical except that it would link to the overview for Module 2, etc. without me having to remember to change it. Is this possible? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@sally_potter  

This direct functionality is not built into Canvas.

While it cannot be accomplished through the web interface, Canvas has an API that allows you to automate things and it can be accomplished that way. What you would need to do is set up a scheduled event (Task Scheduler on Windows; crontab or at job on Linux/Mac) to change the home page at the appropriate time.

The update/create page endpoint of the Pages API allows you to set the wiki_page[front_page]=true for the page you want to be the front page. Your script could change that each week at the designated time.

I think most people who want to do this end up manually changing it each week because they find it easier that way.

View solution in original post

0 Likes